Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP (2002)

Hope someone here can help me. I just went thru the very painful process of backing up my old hard drive to a new one, reformating the old one, reinstalling Windows Me and then reinstalling all the updates, drivers and programs. Sigh. It's all working better now with one glaring exception -- I can't open any Office Documents created before the reformat/reinstall. I get an error messge saying file not available, when the file is clearly visible on the old hard drive, the new hard drive, the My Documents folder on either, or even on the desktop. I even re-installed WOPR, thinking maybe it had something to do with the templates the old docs were created with. I also tried opening the document thru Windows Explorer, and the same thing happens. Any ideas? Any and all help would be appreciated

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office XP (2002)

Quinn--

You are probably getting an error message when you try to open the docs. Is it anything like the one in this MSKB? Or is it different?

822847: WD2002: "Word Has Encountered a Problem" Error Message When You Open a Document

If so there is a 822865: Availability of the Word 2002 Post-Service Pack 2 Hotfix Package: June 20, 2003

There could be a number of other problems that cause this with a number of fixes. I had one similar a couple years ago, and after working for hours with MS, numerous reinstalls, reghacks, and other manuevers we ended up going to Tools>Customize>Commands Tab>Categories>Tools and dragging com-Add-Ins up to the toolbar.

I'm not applying this as a fix for you, just giving you an example of how a 45 second manuever cleared this problem opening up Word 2002 after hours of other attempts to fix it.

SMBP

Thanks

Do you have the same problem using File>Open dialogs? We've had errors like this off and on and, honestly, I can't remember the solution(s), if any, that have worked.

Can you post the exact error message(s)?

For Word, it might help to review Phil's famous <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>, which helps rule out problem templates and add-ins, or corrupted registry keys. However, if this really is happening in all parts of Office, I have to wonder whether it's a completely different problem, such as an Office activation or a Windows permissions problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your prompt replies! The error message that I get when trying to open a Word document is "The file 'filename' is not available". That's it, that's the whole message. However, when I start Word, I get a series of 6 messages saying "Word cannot open this Document Template" When open Excel, I get the message "unable to read file". After clicking okay, Excel opens anyway, but then if I try to open a specific file, I get the error message again. I do not have the problem when opening Publisher files, Publisher seems unaffected. The problems in Word and Excel happen no matter how I attempt to open the docs: from My Documents, from the open icon in the toolbar, from File/Open and from Windows Explorer. I have also run the Detect and Repair option under the Help menu a couple of times with the restore shortcuts option checked. I am going to try both the Hotfix package and also work thru Phil's famous post later today and will let you know what happens. If the specifics I've given above prompt any new thoughts or ideas, please let me know, and thanks again!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Word, select Tools | Options..., File Locations tab. Check if the various locations point to existing folders.
    Also, select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins... and check the list of currently loaded global templates and add-ins (Phil's post also deals with this)

In Excel, select Tools | Options... and check the 'Default file location' and 'At startup, open all files in' settings.
    Also, select Tools | Add-Ins... and check the list of currently loaded add-ins.
    The Excel equivalent of Phil Rabichow's Word post is Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and Jefferson may have solved this with the help of Phil's post and the ref. But could you take one or 2 of those 6 messages and paste the whole message. Maybe with that I can track a thread, write-up or KB somewhere.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to admit it, but I was only able to work thru Steps 1 and 2 of Phil's famous post. 3 and 4 are simply beyond my level of expertise. I am still encountering all the same problems. When I open Word, I get a serious of messages: "Word cannot open this document template. (C:Program FilesWOPR XPWopr_lib.dot), then (...FloppyCopy.dot), then (...ThesMenu.dot), then (...STARTUPWopr_ui.dot), then (...STARTUPPALMAPP.DOT), then (...A20MSW10.dot). I did try and manually add these templates by the Tools/Templates and Add-ins option, but each time I open Word, I get the same error messages and when I go back into the dialog box, they are still unchecked. I also tried dragging the COM Add-ins option up to the toolbar, per a previous post. No luck. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I even re-installed WOPR" what version of WOPR are you installing with Office XP?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I take this to mean you're using some of the WOPR tools they offer on the site like the places bar customizer or WOPR for Office, or the thesaurus for Word/Office. If you can't fix it here, you might contact WOPR from their site. This looks like a WOPR utility connected error to me.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

WOPR XP/2002.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, no. I haven't created any new documents in Word or Excel since encountering this problem. I re-installed WOPR on the possibly half baked theory that if the old documents were created with WOPR installed or with WOPR tools or templates, that re-installing WOPR would solve the problem and enable me to access the documents created before the operating system crashed and I re-formated the hard drive and re-installed the operating system (Window ME, BTW), Office and all my other programs. I'm considering saving all the documents to a new folder and uninstalling/reinstalling Office and all the Service Packs and updates, but I really would love to avoid that if at all possible. Any other thoughts?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds to me like it could be an add-in (WOPR) because of the error messages you're getting, but I'm not sure. When you try Step 2 of <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> & start Word from the command line (winword.exe /a), leave Word running. Then double click on a file from Explorer. Does it open OK? If not, what message do you get?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    No, the files still will not open, and I get the same error message: "The file 'filename' is not available." I'm pretty sure it's not the add-in because I had the problem before re-installing WOPR, I was hoping re-installing WOPR would solve the existing problem. Something else must be corrupted, now I can't even access files I created *after* the system crash/reformat/reinstall. Would welcome any other suggestions or ideas, it will be the weekend before I can even think about uninstalling/reinstalling Word/Excel again.

Thanks

What is your macro security level? Try these settings as a diagnostic:

Tools > Macro > Security... > Security Level = Medium
    Tools > Macro > Security... > Trusted Sources = Trust all installed add-ins and templates

Close and re-open Word. Any different/better?

This might help rule out an additional configuration issue or templates not meeting XP's security requirements.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great idea, but no, no different or better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast