2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Non-Printing Characters (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

I'm creating several documents that I will protect as forms for downloading from a website.

Is there any way that I can hide all the non-printing characters (formatting marks, gridlines and text boundries) so that they are not visible in the downloads?

There is no data that can be entered into the forms. They are only available for reading or printing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-Printing Characters (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3))

This is at least partly dependent on the settings of the person who downloads the documents, so you can't control it completely. If the documents are meant to be viewed only, can't you convert them to HTML, or make them available as PDF files?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am also concerned with file size as the finished product has to be put on a website. A sample Word document is 34KB, the same document as HTML is 44KB, while the PDF version is 74KB.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you converted the document to HTML from Word itself, it will contain a lot of bloat. There are better tools, but I am not an expert in that.

Returning to your original question, is it very bad if the person viewing the document sees non-printing characters? He/she can always turn them off if desired.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's not so bad if the non-printing characters are there. It will probably bug me more than anyone. I'm doing this for a youth (13-18) volleyball site and I've even included a link for the free MS Word Viewer, but I'm not sure they will be that technical.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Word you can do things like make paragraph marks, spaces, table borders, and end-of-row markers, white (presuming that the "Window" property will be white). You can also use proper paragraph spacing and avoid (almost) all empty paragraph marks, and turn off text boundaries.