New Lounger
    Thanks

Forms (2000 and XP)

Hi,
    just found this board. The reason why I am here is because I have been asked to generate a form whereby a submission can be made and sent to a college board for review before being sent back to someone else in my organisation. This form will contain a few long answers but there is to be a limit on the number of words that can be entered. I had a look at PDF but was wasting my time, the data is never saved and passed on.
    Has anyone on board experienced this type of functionality within word? It probably shows, but I am very new to this type of development. Can anyone point me in the direction of something helpful.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: Forms (2000 and XP)

You can create a form in a Word document, but Word's ability to react in intelligent ways to user input is limited. You have to do special things to enable spell-checking, for example, and there's no convenient way to limit the number of words in a field.

Last year (or so it seems!), NMP had a project where she had to limit the number of lines in a textbox on a form, and we worked out a way to do that. Once the user exited the form field and entered another form field, a macro would run and check the length of the textbox, notify the user if it was too long and maybe even truncate it automatically.

Depending on your needs, Word might be the best solution, or perhaps a web page. However, if you don't have a web server handy, Word is convenient because it's an "all-in-one" container. Word has the disadvantage that users' security settings will affect whether your code runs (if you code doesn't run, you can't control the amount of text in the form.)

Is this helpful?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forms (2000 and XP)

Welcome to the Lounge. We have had previous questions about limiting the number of words in a form field. Unfortunately, I don't think there was a satisfactory solution. You can set up a table, which gives you tremendous flexibility as to formatting. i.e. where the questions go, where the answers go. You can also fix the size of the rows to an exact specification. You can then enter text form fields (or other types of formfields) into the table cells. You have some control over their formatting, such as the number of characters, number vs. date vs. text, etc.. You can also find options to format the font, use underline, etc. When you protect the document for forms, the user can only type in the text boxes that you've allow. Take a look under the Help menu for form or "Create a form". If you have specific questions, post back.
    Cheers,