New Lounger
    Queensland, Australia

Service pack/Patches (XP Home Edition)

Hello all
    My system crashed the other day resulting in a format of the HDD and re installing XP.

I started the automatic update service and it came back with over 60mgs of data to download, as I'm only connected by dial up modem, that was going to take for ages. Anyway I bit the bullet and started, well after 11 hours and just at the end I get an error report (some bad file can't remember the name of it) and so had to start all over.

I was wondering is there anywhere I can either obtain a copy of all the patches/service pack on CD or download from the net without installing them direct. I've been to the Microsoft update download site but for someone like me its very confusing.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Gold Lounger
    Wardrobe Malfunction Junction, Derry

Re: Service pack/Patches (XP Home Edition)

I don't know of a collective CD with hotfixes. I would put hotfixes in one at a time anyway because if you get a side-effect, and you put multiples in you may not know which one is giving you a problem. One at a time shouldn't tax a dialup setup for downloads as much. This may not be the format you're looking for, but I can show you a list different from the Win Update format, and a KB on downloading multiples if that's what you want to do:

How to Install Multiple Windows Updates or Hotfixes with Only One Reboot

Search Hotfixes and Get Notification by Email

Security Bulletin List
    If you use this steer to the right for the links instead of down so you avoid Win Update.

Possibly the hotfix installers here could help:

An Advanced Windows Hotfix Manager By Michael Dunn

There are numerous hotfix managers you can google for.

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA

Re: Service pack/Patches (XP Home Edition)

"Order the Windows XP Service Pack 1a CD"
    Go to and order the CD.

"The Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) CD includes the same software as the Web download. Customers in the United States and Canada can order the CD from this Web site. The CD costs U.S. $9.95 or CDN $14.95.

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

Note: If you would like the CD shipped to a P.O. Box, please call 1-800-360-7561

International customers can obtain the CD through their local Microsoft subsidiary

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.