Super Moderator
    Thanks

Mail Merge takes users to new record screen (Acces

I have a db built in Access 2000, but used with Access 2002, in which there are a number of mail merges generated from within Access.

A strange thing is happening after I installed a new version. From the screen displaying the details of a person, a letter to that person is generated successfully, but when Word is closed, the user returns to a blank new record screen rather than the one they left. The record still exists, and the generation of the letter has been successfully recorded, but the users need to Close the screen and reopen it to see this.

I haven't changed anything in the code for the merge, and the problem does not occur for me using Access 2000.

There is slight difference I need to make to my code when I use it. I have a MailMerge function in which I have to change:
    <pre>With appWord
    .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:=strDBName, _
    LinkToSource:=True, Connection:=strquery , SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
    etc
    </pre>

to

<pre>With appWord
    .ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:=strDBName, _
    LinkToSource:=True, Connection:=strquery
    ', SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
    etc
    </pre>

I use this code in several other db's without problem.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge takes users to new record screen (Acces

The MailMerge function in Word changed considerably (it was completely rewritten) in Word 2002, so I would guess that is what accounts for your different behavior. Your code change also takes the merge from being an ODBC connection merge to the default method which is OLE-DB. But I believe the ODBC method should still work - do you get an error with it?
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge takes users to new record screen (A

Thanks fror that.

I have just been told that the problem was confined to a particular machine and has gone away after 'tidying up the user profile'.

I haven't tried using ODBC, simply because I have found my OLE_DB method reliable in the past. I understand ODBC is quicker so I will try it out.

John
    Regards
    John