Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doc Lock

eh0102a

doc Lock

Yesterday after editing a very important document all day long, the document froze. Fortunately I was saving as I went but I had to C-A-D to shut down Word. My doc consists of one massive table, but it was only about 20 pages long.
    When I tried to open the doc again, it loaded and then the cursor stopped flashing. You've heard of lock and load, well this was a load and lock, and I tried it several times to no avail.
    So this morning I came in opened the previously saved doc. I had only lost a page worth of edits and immediately split the doc in two. Now I have 2 10 page docs. After editing and saving them, I came back after lunch to find that when I open one of them, it loads and locks again. What is happening here? I have complete documents that I can neither access or print. doc size is only 450k and my PC is 6 months old, 256K, the works. .......... help.

Eric

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: doc Lock

Hi eh0102a,

Am I correct in surmising that you're using Word 2000? If so, do you have Service Release 1 installed? If you don't, install the patch. Word 2K without the patch doesn't like the taste of long tables.

HTH,

Chris

eh0102a

Chris,
    Apparently Office 97 doesn't like the taste either because that's what I've been using for the last four years. Any other clues?
    Eric

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. That kinda takes the thunder out of my first post. <g>

A couple quick questions:

1) Are able to open other docs on the same machine?

2) Have you tried opening the docs on a different machine?

3) Have you cleaned your system of *.tmp files?

4) Is there a Word lock file (~$Docname.doc) in the document folder when the document is closed?

5) Is the contents of the document sensitive? In other words, would you mind emailing it for test purposes?

I'm sure other esteemed members of the Lounge might have other ideas.

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have some notes somewhere on how to regain most of the text in a corrupt document. The overall method is to work forwards to the corruption point, and then work backwards, snagging the front- and back-ends of the text. I've used it successfully in the past. Let me know if you'd like a copy and I'll go look for it.

I have had little success loading corrupt DOCs into WordPerfect, AmiPro or Wordpro, but I'd be prepared to give it a try for you.

eh0102a

Chris,
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    1. Yes I can open other docs on my PC.

2. I have already tried loading it on another PC in my work area and the same lockup occurred.

3. Yes I voided my system of all .tmp files.

4. THere may have been one created after the original lockup but it isn't there now.

5. The information is highly confidential and I can't release it.

I am in the process of taking an old version and copying segments of the text into new templates. I am guessing that since this document has been edited literally for years, maybe all the revision tracking is so encumbered that it is simply eating up all the processing. could that be possible. Again the document show size to be only 345K.

I appreciate your suggestions, keep em coming and only wish I could email you the copy. Gotta keep redoing the document cause I got a deadline.

Eric

eh0102a

chrisgreaves,
    Thanks for your input but this thing locks on about page 17 of the 20 page doc. It doesn't even finish before the cursor quits. Sorry I can's send copy because of confidential issues in the subject matter.
    Eric

BAM

Hi Eric,

It does sound like a corrupt table.

Here are a few things to try:

Does the document hang in both Normal and Page Layout view?

Can you save the document as RTF? (Make sure you use just RTF rather than Word 6.0/95 RTF if available)

If you have access to Word 2000 you may want to try opening it there, save as HTML and then back again as a Word doc. Or select the table, use Table/Convert/Table to Text and then convert it back again.

Create a new file and use Insert/File and see if you can insert the contents of the corrupt file. (Although I doubt this will work, since this method is used more for corruption in the last hidden section.)

Also, make sure you have "Fast Saves" option turned off in Tools/Options/Save. This won't help on this document, but if it is turned on it will help prevent corruption in future documents.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

eh0102a

Thanks, BAM
    Excellent ideas, all but unfortunately once the doc loads I cannot change the view scroll to back or anything. Can't save as .rtf or anything else because my toolbars are not activated. They also just sit there unless I open a new doc, then everything goes fine.
    thanks for the ideas.
    Eric

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Eric,

Aha! You're tracking versions! Along with master documents and allow fast saves it's one of the best ways to ensure document corruption. I can't think of a way off-hand to open the docs you have now. I can strongly recommend that you don't use versions. It's best to use separate files for this functionality. But, if version you must, I'd routinely make new documents after five or ten changes and back up the old ones to retain your history.

I know this doesn't help, but...

Chris

eh0102a

Chris
    I'm not tracking versions, I am tracking revisions (Tools/Track CHanges/Highlight Changes). All your suggestions have been encouraging however I think I need to simply recreate what's been lost.
    thanks again
    Eric

BAM

Hi Eric,

Then unfortunately I believe your document is lost. :-(

All you can really do is try to recover as much as you can by going to File/Open and changing Files of Type to "Recover Text from any file".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Good Luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One last thought. Have you tried creating a new document then inserting the offending document into it (Insert>File) to recover the data? I think BAM also suggested this.

Thanks

Maybe repagination is preventing you from rescuing the salvageable parts. Have you turned that off?

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to manipulate the document if it were invisible. No reason for Word to try to display an invisible document. You can open a document through VBA without displaying it using:
    Dim myDoc as Document
    Set myDoc = Documents.Open(FileName:="C:MyFilesMyDoc.doc", Visible:=False)

Then you probably could convert the tables to text and save it as a new file, and see what's missing.

Dim aTable as Table
    For Each aTable in myDoc
    aTable.ConvertToText Separator:=wdSeparateByTabs
    Next
    myDoc.SaveAs FileName:="c:MyFilesMyDoc2.doc"

Does this help at all?

Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked the paragraph formatting Eric? Sometimes people set "Keep with Next" and/or "Keep Lines Together" and then this format is carried on as they add paragraphs or rows to tables. So you could end up with pages and pages or huge tables where everything is supposed to keep with the next one or stay together and then Word doesn't know what to do and has hysterics. I have found that even when you select the whole document and take those settings off, it doesn't necessarily work. You have to do it in small chunks. Also sometimes just one cell in a table row will have this format and not the rest of that row and it can also cause trouble and eventual locking up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast