New Lounger
    Thanks

System Files (WinXP Pro)

I am reinstalling all my software on a new hard drive, and I have been using System File Checker (SFC) to ensure that my Windows system files stay current. I have just installed Office XP, and I would like to ensure that subsequent applications I install that are not as new as Office XP, such as my version of MS Project, do not replace any Office files with older versions. Nothing I have learned about SFC tells me that it does anything other than check WinXP system files. If that is true, then is there a way to protect my Office XP dlls, etc. from being replaced?

Bill Martz

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Files (WinXP Pro)

You don't need to do that. Windows Installer 2.0 (the version included in Windows XP) protects all your hotfixes. For example, if you decide re-install your Office XP "on top" of your installation of Office XP SP2, it will protect your service packs - you don't need to re-apply them once again. If your application installer will try to replace existing file with older versions of the same file, you will be warned and must choose from options (replace the file or keep the newer version). It's not a function of SFC anymore, that's why you cannot find any information about it. By the way, remember that MS Project requires its own service packs, not ones for MS Office. Visit MS Office Download Website for more information.

Thanks

Bill,

You are right about SFC only looking at system files, not app files.
    I'm not that familiar with Office to know if there is a file protect option in it or not. Maybe a post in the Office area might get some answers.

It seems to me that there have been times when installing a new program, that an inquiry box came up advising that a file newer than the one being installed already exists, then asking for an OK to overwrite it. Just can't remember if that was an option to enable or not?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your speedy replies, guys.

Bill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Billy--

Historically SFC.exe tool in 98 did check Office files, but not after that and the guys answered your Office install question. There is Detect and Repair in Office 2000 and XP and Automatic Repair Features in Office and this article explains repair features and paths in Office XP.

[i]Ed Note SMBP: Note that the article points out:

"There are two options available on the Detect and Repair dialog, Restore my shortcuts while repairing and Discard my customized settings and restore default settings. Administrators have the option of disabling these two options through policy settings in the Office10.adm template (Microsoft Office XP | Help | Detect and Repair