Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP defaults (XP)

I have to send a file that is comma-delimited to another dept. Everytime I format my dates, they look fine. I save the document. Then when I open it again or the person receiving it does, it defaults back to the way it was before. Specifically, I am having trouble with a custom date field. For January 2003, I need the format 01/2003. I made a custom format but when they open the file that I send, it reads Jan-03. Is there a way to stop these defaults?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP defaults (XP)

If you look at the .csv file with Notepad, you'll probably find that it contains the dates in the format you specified in Excel before saving it.

Excel, however, ignores the formatting of data when it opens a text file, so even if the dates are stored in the .csv file as mm/yyyy, Excel imposes its own default format. I don't know of a way to avoid that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP defaults (XP)

Well, this is pretty ugly but maybe this will work for you.

I typed 1/1/2003 in A1. In cell B1, I typed ="=text("&CELL("address",A1)&",""mm/yyy"")"

A1 looks like: 1-Jan . B1 looks like: =text($A$1,"mm/yyy")

If I now save the workbook as a csv file and reopen it in Excel, A1 still looks like: 1-Jan. B1 looks like: 01/2003