New Lounger
    Thanks

install 811630? (Home, SP1)

Trying to follow Woody's advice from "WWW #6.22 - A patch with two extras", I know that I may need to install 811630. How do I determine whether I do? Windows Update isn't suggesting it, as it is suggesting the new patch and the WMP update. I looked under C:Windows and don't see a set of uninstall files for it, though I do find a "Q811630.log". Control Panel's Add/Remove doesn't list it.

Viewing that Q811630.log, I see lots of entries end with "failed", so maybe at some time I ran the update but it failed? Should I attach the Q811630.log to a post here for someone to look at? If so, is there anything likely to be in it that I'd want to edit out first for privacy/security reasons? Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: install 811630? (Home, SP1)

Read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811630 once again.

It says: "Note You cannot remove this hotfix." That means, you cannot find it neither on "Add/Remove Programs" list, nor "uninstall" entries for it.

To determine, do you need to install it, scroll down the article and read "File Information" section. Under "Windows XP Professional SP1, Windows XP Home Edition SP1, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, and Windows XP Media Center Edition" you will see the table with files details. Open My Computer, navigate to each file mentioning in the table ( %windir% usually stands for C:Windows), right-click every one of them and from pop-up menu choose Properties, then Version tab. Compare version number with one in the table. If the number is the same or your version is higher than that in the table, you don't need the hotfix. Otherwise download and apply it once again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

kaplinb: Thanks! I checked them all, and all mine are the same version as in the article, so I'm all set to install the new updates. Exxxxxcellent. Thanks again.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

TMD39--

Certain hotfixes don't show in Add/Remove. In addition to what Kaplinb showed you, You can settle the question of whether a hotfix is in or not by going to the registry and looking at the hotfix key and subkeys:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionHotfix

This applies to NT, Win 2K, and Win XP.

Also try:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows XPSP1

Hotfixes could also be listed at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows 2000SPX where X could be 1-4

See Post 294528

Also see for reference:

Microsoft Windows XP Hotfix Installation and Deployment Guide for hotfix installation registry paths and keys/subkeys.

If the hotfix isn't registered, and you need to find it and download it quickly, then I'd follow Post 287488 for complete hotfix download list.

SMBP