Stelthygy2

Intermittent Shutdown

I am running Windows 2000 SP-1 on a Pentium II 400 with 256MB of RAM. I have the latest patch for the motherboard. If I boot up and do lots of things like play games, connect to the internet via DSL, download files from newsgroups the system rarely will shut down properly. When I select shutdown, applications stop and the screen goes blue but I never see the "saving your settings" window. If I boot up, do very little and shut down almost immediately the shutdown or restart progresses properly. Sometimes the problem occurs if I just leave the system on for a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Stelthygy2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Intermittent Shutdown

It sounds like you have either a service or an application that is not shutting down properly. There are a few ways around this, but ultimately you should try to determine exactly what is hanging.

Windows NT/2000 will wait a specified period for services to terminate when shutting down. If you have a gaggle of services that aren't playing nice then you could wait into the next millenium for them all to be killed.

Workarounds:

Download <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xteq.com/>X-Setup</A>, the mother of all tweaking tools, and change the Auto-end settings. That's the pain-free way to shorten things.

If you're brave, feeling froggy, yada yada, open REGEDT32 and drill down to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop

There are two entries that you'll be interested in.

AutoEndTasks - change the value to a 1 to enable this feature.

WaitToKillAppTimeout - This is the wait time, in milliseconds, before NT/2000 pulls the plug on an app that does not respond to the shutdown/terminate request. You can knock this down to 10000 (ten seconds). If you cut it much shorter you could be compromising the integrity of your data.

These keys also exist in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.defaultControl Panel, and new users logging in will acquire these settings automatically.

Again, your best bet is to disable things and re-enable them gradually until you find the culprit. That takes time, effort, blood sweat and tears, but it is the best solution for a stable system.

Look in the task manager at the process list when you start the PC, and then again before you get ready to shut down after a marathon session, and see if there is anything different. Ten to one the offending service or app will appear there.

Good luck!!
    -Mark

Stelthygy2

Re: Intermittent Shutdown

Thanks for the response. I'll try out your suggestions ASAP. I thought I had it licked when I changed the second IDE settings to DMA but it's still finicky.