2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Find Components Error on Open (Access 2000)

I'm working on an Access application that has started producing the following error when I double click the mdb file from Explorer:

"Cannot find the file '<File path>' (ore one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

This error is puzzling in that when I double click the file icon, Access opens, the database window displays and the border of the main (startup) form displays. It sits there, apparently inactive, for about 30 seconds and then pops the Explorer window to the top and displays the error. When I click OK, the message box goes away and the application is ready to go in the background.

I've checked all the references and links to the data tables (on our server) and can't find anything wrong. Also, if I open access and then open the mdb through File|Open it still sits idle for a while, but opens with no error.

Any idea of what might be going on here?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Find Components Error on Open (Access 2000)

Bill
    Sounds like a bit of corruption here.
    Make a backup copy first and save some where safe.
    Then
    Create a new database and import all objects from the trouble db into the new one.
    Go to the VBE editor, debug and compile the database.
    Close the VBE editor and to a compact and repair.

This may solve the issue.

Remember, back up first.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

/generally, when you can open it from Access but not from Explorer, you have a file association problem of some kind. For example, if you're having momentary network interruptions, the database may not be able to find its back end or sustain the link to it. If you have several versions of Access available, you may be triggering the wrong version (i.e., runtime vs full install). If the database is linked to multiple back ends, you could have a problem with only one of them. Can you give an explicit example of a message that mentions the file it was looking for? That might help track down the cause.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The name in the message box is the name of the mdb file I'm opening. What's a little puzzling is that it seems to run through the code to refresh the links to the back end quickly and then sits for an extended period of time. The length of this time period seems independent of network load and i believe all the Form_Open code has already completed because if I do a Control-Break it doesn't affect the wait time or break into the code when the wait is over.

If the message box listed one of the back end DBs as the culprit, I'd at least have someplace to look. But this one leaves me scratching my head.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What version of Windows are you running? I'm on Win2k and if I open the properties of an MDB file from windows explorer, there is a button to change the "opens with" program. You might try resetting that, which will cure any file association problems at least. Also, do you have file extensions visible? I've seen similar behavior when clicking on an ldb file instead of an mdb file when the extensions were hidden.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm running under NT 4. I checked the file association and can't see anything wrong. I have seen this problem before when the filename argument ("%1") isn't inside quotes, but this one is, so that isn't likely to be the problem.

I always run with extensions visible and have double checked to verify that I'm using the mdb file.

This one seems to be a real stumper.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That was the ticket. I do have an AutoExec macro to set the startup properties, but all it does is run some code. I decided to try it anyway and all is well now.

Thanks to all of you for your help.