4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Meeting Rooms/Resources (XP)

Does anyone have an idiots guide to setting up resources? In a previous life I have had IT admin do this but this time I need to do it myself.

What I mean is have a meeting room set up as a resource; when creating an appointment and inviting the resource it the resource field is automatically completed. The resource is set up to accept meetings automatically (I can do this bit). And anyone can open the resources calendar to see bookings (it's set to default read).

The bit I can't get is how to get the resource bit populated automatically (using Add others, select Attendees and Resources) and how to allow everyone to invite and therefore write to the resource calendar???

Thank you.............. liz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Meeting Rooms/Resources (XP)

Liz, The steps below will get you going.

1. Log onto the resource account (no other way to do this)
    2. Tools | Options | Calendar Options | Resource Scheduling button
    3. Check off Autoaccept meeting requests
    4. Check off AutoDecline conflicts
    5. Choose whether to decline recurring meetings. Your call.
    6. Permissions button
    7. Permissions tab
    8. Set "Default" to Author
    9 Click OK till you're out. Then do a File | Exit.

(You may want to extend the free/busy time beyond the default 3 months)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OldDog,

Finally I got back to this, what you have suggested is in fact this is what I had done.

What I can't get to work is when I create an appointment I expect a resource, if selected when using Add Others, should populate the Resources section rather than the Required invitees i.e. Outlook recognises that a resource has been selected. Of course, one can manually put the resource in the right section... but not everyone will remember and anyway I know this is bog-standard functionality.

I'm flummoxed... any ideas................... liz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, Outlook will not recognize that it is a resource. It will happily let the user add the account as required or optional. Of course, nothing happens and the event remains pending. So users have to remember to click the Resource button.

Which they don't!!! We had to set up rules for our resources to reply to meeting requests with a template that says "YO STUPIDO!" (My drafts did, but not the production versions) and provides instructions on how to make the needed changes.

This works because Exchange processes the meeting request for the resource, and does not send the request to the in box. If a request makes it's way to the in box, then some kind of mistake was made.