Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving jpgs as jpg not bitmaps (6.0)

When I right click on an image in internet explorer and choose properties I see that it is a jpeg.
    But when I right click and try to save this image I can only save it as a bitmap.

Is there anyway to change this apart from then reopening the bitmap in another program and saving it as a jpeg.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving jpgs as jpg not bitmaps (6.0)

Try to clear your "Internet Cache" (AKA Temporary Internet Files folder).

Tools | Internet Options | Delete Files button.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What about an image in IE that's a bitmap to begin with and your only choice to save it is bitmap and bitmap--i.e. there is no jpeg choice--any way to convert it? If it's originally a bitmap are you stuck? Or what if it's bitmap and gif and you'd like it to be another format? For example if I hover the mouse over Lex at the top of this page my choices to save are bitmap or gif.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, there are many converting programs -- even MS Paint can do it, although the quality is #&%*. My favorite is Irfanveiw with the BaxBex Context Menu extension.

Hmmm... I think I see your point. IE gives me just two choices -- WHY? There might be an IE "add-on" that allows you to have a converter directly built in to the IE Context Menu -- but I have never seen one.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I was thinking I have to get into the image programs to get better versed in converting. This comes up a lot in a simple way for me. It also brings up another little issue I wonder about I bet you can answer. I'll be on a web page and see a picture I like and want to save--I'm not looking to publish it anywhere so I don't think I'm would be in copyright trouble--I might share the image with a friend in an email or I guess I could make it wall paper. One thing I wanted to ask was that in XP and maybe 2K you hover the mouse and get an automatic little save option and 3 others: Print/Send/Open My Pictures Folder. And this usually gives you a choice of several formats including .jpeg and .png from the getgo. I don't know why you don't sometimes. But sometimes you don't, so in that instance I right click the image and click on "Save Picture as" and when I'm living right that can be a .jpeg but sometimes it's a bit map.

I say "living right." because I know that if I can save it as a .jpeg, I'll get a much smaller image with better "integrity" and that if I have to convert, it might turn out crummy as you described and you have to resort to tricks that I'm not great at to try to spiff up the image. I played with some of those in Photoshop Elements--I have Photoshop but haven't tried that. Maybe Irfranview is good at letting me make that conversion and make it look good.

Why can you many times hover over an image and get those options with their little iconnettes, and sometimes not?

"IE gives me just two choices -- WHY? There might be an IE "add-on" that allows you to have a converter directly built in to the IE Context Menu -- but I have never seen one."

If you do see run across this kind of add on, please give me a holler and if you know any tricks to make a conversion look as good as possible or have as much original integrity as possible, please let me know.

SMBP

Thanks

> I hover the mouse over Lex at the top of this page my choices to save are bitmap or gif.

FYI, Lex is an animated GIF. Saving in another format will destroy the animation.

Thanks

If you can't save from the page, the file should be in your cache folder. Sort by "last accessed" and it should be right near the top.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That thing you see over some picture is called the "Image Toolbar" -- and it can be toggled on or off on the Advanced tab. Perhaps it only appears over certain image types -- such as only over .jpg files. Also, perhaps the "Save Picture As" options also vary depending on the type of file.

I don't have time today, but you may want to collect some data on the File Types, the presence/absence of the Image Toolbar, and the Save As choices. Perhaps a relationship will become obvious...

I just saved the "Lounger" Lex as a bitmap -- but that one does not appear to move. Perhaps if you save it as a .bmp you only get one image??

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--I'm getting there. The IE6 Resource kit has a chapter (9} on it now that I know what it's called.

Automatic Image Resizing Chapter 9 IE6 Resource Kit

SMBP