Star Lounger
    Thanks

Emailing from Access (XP/2002)

Access currently creates personalised letters to send to my clients by snail mail. What I want is Access to send those personalised letters via email via Outlook using an email address stored in the clients Access record. It must be possible hopefully without reams of VBA. Any thoughts??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Emailing from Access (XP/2002)

You do need VBA for that, I'm afraid. You would open a (DAO or ADODB) recordset that returns the customers you want to send an e-mail to, and loop through its records.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans but that went so far over my head you would not believe it. Please be (MUCH) more specific.

tia

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you provide some details:
    - Do you want to make some kind of selection of recipients, and if so, how?
    - Is the personalised letter a report, or ...?
    - What are the names of the relevant tables, queries, reports, and of the fields needed to get this working?
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The selection would be done by a query that just selects for those clients for whom I have an email address. For the rest I will have to continue to send the letter by snail mail.
    The personalised letter is a report.
    That's complicated!! It's probably sufficient to assume that the query that returns clients with email addresses is itself based on other queries that sort out who I should be contacting this month. So assume that a query called qryWCRegularEmail contains fields called Ref, EmailAddress, Title, Forname, Surname, Address1, Address2, Town & County; I'm in the UK!. The output needs to be a series of emails in my Outlook outbox, one per client from the query with the email title being a static text item & body of the email containing personalised text.

Regards

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The simplest way to do this is to choose the merge to eMail option in Word - the process is almost identical to creating the paper letter, but you specify the document type to be email in the first step of the Mail Merge Wizard.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell, this solution has been suggested & I'm sure it would work but I'd much rather do it from within Access unless that's too horrible!

Regards

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The alternative is to use DAO or ADO and loop through the recordset creating a one page report for each person and then emailing that report as a snapshot file to the person using Outlook Automation. The problem is that Access reports are designed to be printed, not emailed, so if you are going to email, you have to jump through hoops. You can output the report as an RTF document, but what you get is a multi-page document for all persons with email. The simplest method is to use the merge to Word approach - we used it quite successfully with as many as 30,000 recipients. You can use Automation to drive Word from Access and it all works pretty smooth - but if you have 30000 to send, you need to be concerned about issues with Outlook / Exchange Server and what not. It does mean that your report would need to be converted to a Word Merge main document, so that could pose some challenges.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To do this requires you to be comfortable with VBA programming in Access and Outlook. If you aren't, this is going to be tough.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I'm willing if you are!!

regards

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at the links in <post#=301516>post 301516</post#> to get some background about Automation (controlling one application from within another one).
    Then look at <post#=275460>post 275460</post#> to see an example of sending individual reports to e-mail addresses.