3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

folder sercurity (Windows XP home SP1)

I have just brought XP home with service pack 1 and i am trying to set it up so that i can say which files to share and which to restrict to other users i have at the moment hidden the files but if one of the other users goes into the folder options and turns on show hidden files they can see the files again i am hopping that there is a way to setup password restrictions to certain files such as the WINDOWS files in Windows Explorer

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: folder sercurity (Windows XP home SP1)

There is. It's called XP Pro. Read anywhere you can all the differences between Home & Pro.

Thanks

I don't share, so I can only give you some general comments. First, if you use the FAT32 file system, your control over sharing is limited to whole folders and their sub-folders. You can't assign privileges for individual files. If you convert to NTFS, you can set privileges on individual files and on subfolders (from the above post, I guess it's possible this is not an option in XP Home, but I don't know).

Second, there is a setting called "Use simple file sharing" at the bottom of the View tab, Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    I`ve got Home and what I do to keep folders such as My Documents private is ... Right click the folder /Sharing. You can choose to make it private with a password
    Hope this is what you are looking for
    Elaine

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't share my computer, but I will try to give some advices that are for Windows XP Home. I also use Home. OK, first: use NTFS.
    Second: in XP Pro you have the option to use Simple File sharing or not, in XP Home Simple File sharing is the only option.
    To start with: if your account has an password (and it should) it makes sence to make your files Private. The OS give you the option to make them private when you set your password. If you have choosen not to make them private, you can do that later. Right click on "Document and settingsyour username" and select properties, share check make private.

Next: in XP Home, best way is to set up a limited account (no administrator) for thoose who you would like to share computer with.

In Windows XP Home you can change some file and folder security options if you choose to start Fail safe and then go to a folder and right click and selcet properties, you should now have a new tab Security. (Long time since I did this so not sure what is called.) But be carefull when you do this. You might want to set up a test folder to try with.

Regards,