New Lounger
    Thanks

Self Customising Word Doc (2000/XP)

Is there any way to create a document that can be viewed by different people but only show the parts relevant to them. This is for a procedural document that will be used by up to 6 groups of people, each group will require a slightly different version of the same document. I don't want to have to create 6 different documents for each of the 30 or so procedures to document. The ideal would be for the document to re-format itself and not to leave blanks where content has been omitted.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Self Customising Word Doc (2000/XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 11-Oct-03 11:53. to add the autotext example)</P>The only way I can think of is to use if fields along with Includetext or AutoText fields. It would be something like:

{ if { username } = "NameOne" "{Includetext "C:FolderFilenameOne.doc"}" "{IF {Username} = "NameTwo"} "C:FolderFileNameTwo.doc" "Make sure your username is specified under Tools/Options/User Information tab" " }

I haven't checked the number of quote marks, but you insert the brackets with Ctrl+F9. You can get some information on using IF fields & AutoText (although in a slightly different context) in this KB article & here.

Added: Here is how it would look with AutoText fields:
    { IF { username } = "NameOne" "{ Autotext1 }" "{ IF { username } = "NameTwo" "{ AutoText2 }" "{ IF { username } = "NameThree" "{ autotext3 }" "Make sure that you're username is specificed correctly under Tools/Options/User Information" }" }" }

I've checked the number of brackets & quote marks in the latter example.
    Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why not produce this as a set of separate documents with links between them, or links from a top level document to the various detail documents. You could then produce a different top level document for each group that links to the same detail where appropriate.

Or even better design the whole thing as a web based procedure manual with drill down to appropriate detail where needed?

StuartR

Thanks

Another way to do this, which I am only hypothesizing because I've never done it, is to create a single "code base" in a main merge document, and then have the resulting document generated based on certain input fields in your merge data document. Thus, different paragraphs would be output to the new document depending on, for example, the department. What you would get is multiple documents your organization would have to treat as "read-only," and which would have to be completely replaced down the road when there are changes to the main codebasse. Despite that level of inefficiency, it seems at the same time both easier for you to maintain, and less likely to blow up and provide the wrong information to the wrong person.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You could do that with a document Open event.
    You would program the event to test for the user, or ask the user top identify themselves, then th ecode could change the doc any which way but loose.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another approach might be to use a number of different styles, and give each group a template that has the appropriate set of styles formatted as HIDDEN text. You would need to set the "Automatically update document styles" flag for the document in "Templates and Add-Ins".

You would then need to distribute the different tempates to each group, but could at least maintain a single document with the content.

StuartR