2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Whines: 'You used Selective Startup' (Home/Serv

I want to get rid of an annoying startup message. My system had been getting slow. I used MSConfigSys, to kill some startup programs. Now when I start up, I get an annoying message which lectures me--ME, the owner!--about tinkering. Worse, the pompous prigs from Redmond tell me: "Choose the Normal Startup mode in the General tab to start Windows normally and undo your changes... " And the equally condescending checkbox: "Don't show this message or launch the SysConfig Utility when WIN starts."

How do I shut this 6itch up? But, lest I slip into a REAL rant, may I thank you in advance for your advice? If you need, I'll send a screen shot of the full annoying message. ( I have a feeling you've seen it, too.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Whines: 'You used Selective Startup' (Home/Serv

If you don't want to see the message then why not check the box that says "Don't show this message or launch the SysConfig Utility when WIN starts"?

StuartR

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: XP Whines: 'You used Selective Startup' (Home/Serv

When you make changes in MSCONFIG you will need to Check the box that Says " Don't show me this message again" , that is if you plan on keeping those changes without that stupid box popping up every time you boot. All it's doing is warning you that you have made changes to your Startup,so if your comfortable with those changes, then check the box!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Whines: 'You used Selective Startup' (Home/

Am I interpreting the dialog box wrong? by "Don't . . . launch the SysConfig Utility when WIN starts" I thought that meant, "don't keep your changes" because I assume this Utility is what Windows refers to for modified changes. That's why I referred to it as condescending, like it wasn't going to allow me to override the defaults.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MSCONFIG is intended as a troubleshooting tool, Windows expects that you have cleared some checkboxes to try and diagnose a problem and is warning you that it is starting up in this mode

A simple test (and 2 reboots) confirms that disabling something in MSCONFIG and setting that box during startup achieves the result that you want.

StuartR

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Tal--

Checking the box should stop the screen as Stuart and CBD suggested, but a high percent of the time checking it simply won't accomplish this. Like a number of Windows menus and dialogue box offerings, following a dialogue box or a check box will often not deliver the intended choice. It's well worth trying, because it's the fastest thing to do.

This will probably get it done for you though. Download the xp_nomsconfig.vbs file from Doug Knox at Stop the msnconfig selective startup screen "To use: Download the xp_nomsconfig.vbs file and save it to your Desktop (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the xp_nomsconfig.vbs file after closing MSConfig. You will not see the Selective Startup screen on the next boot. This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated."

You are of course right to want to speed up your machine and cut resource use by minding msconfig, but there are many many other places to do this as well and one of the best discussions I've seen of the multiple locations is in

Windows XP Inside Out MS Press

Ed Bott co-authors the Office XP and Office 2003 books with Woody Leonhard. Also you may find this helpful--because understanding the processes and eliminating a number of them will also help speed up your computer and conserve resources:

Black Viper's Windows XP Service Configurations.

Also a number of "startup managers" have been discussed in the lounge in the XP and Windows and Software Finds and they can be found quickly through your favorite search engine.

Good luck,

SMBP