Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Prevent 'MSN Today'? (MSN Messenger 6)

Hope this is an appropriate forum...

When I click on MSN Messenger 6 I get the usual MSN Messenger 6 signon window (tall and thin). I want this -- but only when I click on it!

I also get the "MSN Today" window, which I DON'T want. How can I prevent this loading?

Additionally, it seems that, having clicked on it the once, I get a registry HKCU RUN entry for
    "C:Program FilesMSN Messengermsnmsgr.exe" /background
    which I don't want either.

Does anyone know of ways of preventing these two "features"?

I have already implemented the "avoid the infuriating advertisements at the bottom of the MSN Messenger 6 windows" fix...

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prevent 'MSN Today'? (MSN Messenger 6)

Tools, Options, General for the Today screen and other options. Not sure on the reg key - the pictures option on the personal tab might do it (but i doubt it) - you'll need to remove the key from the registry yourself though and it may keep coming back.

You should replace MSN messenger with Windows Messenger 5. It only offers IM, not all the extras found in MSN Messenger.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mary

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to change these options in the new Identity I set up recently!
    I'd forgotten that I'd done this in my own identity, long ago!

I'm surprised you suggest that i go back to Windows Messenger, when "everyone" (well, OK, Bruce!) has suggested that Windows Messenger will disappear in favour of MSN Messenger, eventually. Or perhaps you know something he doesn't??!

Later... The only reason I'm using MSN Messenger 6 is to webcam from the UK to Australia. And back!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You'll need MSN for video but if you don't always need it, you can use WM5 too. I have both installed and often log on with both with different passports.

WM won't go away in favor of MSN IM. MSN is the consumer product, WM is the corporate product and supports SIP and Exchange servers. WM5 doesn't do ads, games, Today or skins/pictures.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Spybot - Search and Destroy, you should be able to remove the Run entry by choosing Tools|System Startup. HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

's what I did! It saves the information in another key...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...