New Lounger
    Thanks

Security Updates

Each time I log on my computer tells me that there are updates from Microsoft. Unfortunately I keep being told to install '823559 Security Update for Microsoft Windows'. On checking my installation history, I have installed it 5 times - and still it keeps coming. How do I stop Microsoft sending me an update I already have???
    This evening I decided to check and found there was an IE 6 Service Pack update (KB828750) which would take 2 minutes to down load. After 10 minutes I abandoned it - so now my installation history shows a failed installation! What am I doing wrong?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Updates

You aren't doing anything wrong. MS is. It's called Windows Update. They're trying to fix it with a new version. There is a KB on this and multiple write ups in the oxymoronic Windows Update Troubleshooter.

3190109: Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed

Set a system restore point, export the reg key and delete the reg. key per Method 2 this KB above. That often helps.

Post 288653 has multiple links to Win Update support references.

I don't use Win Update and I avoid the non-ending problems with it that are posted in the lounge. It's just too much hassle to use and it's very easy to update via the security site so I do that. It began to be too time consuming. If you do feel you have to use it though, you can personalize it and improve its performance for you.

If you want to try the other route I use:

Hotfix Search and Security Bulletin Email Notification on top or right.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I am still confused. Having explored the items listed they refer to Windows XP and I am running Windows 98SE - I thought they were different! Anyway I have decided until I know better I will just click IGNORE and perhaps once per week or after receiving a WOODY post which says there are fixes to come I will check and see if there are any other fixes I should down load.
    Life is a pain!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The items above don't refer exclusively to Win XP--they refer to updates period whether they are for 98 through XP, the servers, IE, OE, and Office. They offer extensive support links for using Windows Update or as I prefer bypassing it and using the Technet Security site for hotfixes. It has nothing to do with the operating system Windows XP--it has to do with Windows operating systems, and the other software programs made by Microsoft. You can choose between these two methods. If you check the hotfixes, many of them apply to a variety of operating systems and/or IE, Office, the servers.

Windows 98 is certainly among them. You can also consult the

Official Microsoft Windows 98 Homepage.

This may offer you additional help tailored to updating Windows 98.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 22-Oct-03 18:00. to remove unnecessarily large attachment and edit out 'white space'.)</P>If there are any critical updates, I wouldn't click ignore. I would patch. I could give you a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest dangers to systems and biggest friends to viruses and vulnerabilities has been the epidemic of "patch paranoia syndrome" that has swept thousands of people.

This bulletin for example was emailed October 15, 2003 or yesterday to everyone who subscribes to the security bulletin service from Microsoft:

What You Should Know About the Windows Security Updates for October 2003

These are critical updates--if I were you I'd reread Woody's bulletins the last few months very carefully. He is not recommending that you ignore critical patches--he's recommending quite the opposite. I'd put this in perspective--despite the vocal outcry here and on other newsgroups--any patch trauma was to a relatively small percent of machines. I understand the agony of being bitten--if you are hit--percentages aren't that much comfort. But a lot of people blame patches for problems that in reality have nothing to do with them.

This is what Woody has said to grab a few quotes:

[i]"At this moment, I don