db.www@pmpkn.net

Printing without updating fields

A minor but annoying problem i'm having, using Word 2000 9.0.3821 SR-1.

I'm trying to print out a document while keeping some manual typographical changes in the results of certain fields in the document (mainly along the lines of getting the printout to look like "figure 1" rather than the "Figure 1" Word inserts). However, each time i try to print out the document, Word updates the fields and the typographical changes are lost.

The odd thing is that "Update fields" is unchecked in Tools/Options/Print.

It'd be easy, i know, to just lock the fields that i've changed before printing, but for a couple of reasons i don't want to lock them in this particular document.

So is there any way to convince Word that i really was serious when i told it not to update fields on printing?

Thanks

Re: Printing without updating fields

Hi David,

Try "locking" the fields. (Ctrl-F11) If you do this, remember that you'll have to unlock the field if you want it to update.

You may also want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q89/9/53.asp>Which fields get updated, when?</A> which is a Knowledge Base article.

Another solution would be to create your own caption field using {SEQ} fields instead. That way you could format the caption the way you wanted. I would recommend formatting it using the Style Heading 9 (modified the way you want) so that you would still be able to use the Table of Contents features to create a table of figures.

For more on fields you may want to check out the links at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm>{Using Fields}</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm) - The page is not finished but links at beginning are good.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing without updating fields

Hi David:

In addition to what Charles has said, you can create a new caption label called "figure", instead of "Figure". You could delete all your current captions, create your new label, select autocaption & apply it to the appropriate object, & then apply your new label to your graphics. I suppose someone could figure out a macro to change your label, but I'm not able to do that.

Oh. And this is my real name, too--er, unless you see it on a wanted poster.