Thread: SUS

Lounger
    Thanks

SUS

I have installed and configured MS SUS services. I have configured it using AD and it is scheduled to install the updates to the client pcs once a day. What I need to do is check that everybody has actually installed the updates. I know that there is some info in the IIS log files but i'm not sure how to read it.

Can anybody help??

TIA

Lee

Thanks

Re: SUS

Is the update uncancelable? If so, you might be able to rely on server logs. Depending on the log format, you should be able to determine: (1) user's IP address, and (2) arguments passed to the server (e.g., this could be a Q number). A more reliable method might be to poll users' PCs with HFNETCHK at regular intervals. (I've read about other methods but can't recall them at this moment.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Users can cancel the installation if they wish although we tell them not to. When you look at the web logs there are lots of entries for the same machine, i'm having trouble working out what each entry means. I'll have a look at hfnetchk pro though...thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Web server logs typically are crammed with useless information because every GET is in there, down to the 1-pixel gifs used for spacing. If you keep your updates in a particular folder, perhaps you can filter on the path?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Lee,
    Can't you use the policy setting of '4' which is to automatically d/l & schedule the install. The explanation in the GP editor of that setting says the updates are installed automatically on the schedule set in the policy. The user has the option to delay re-booting if an update requires a re-boot. Does not say the user has an option to not install.

joe
    Joe