3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Hotfix (Win XP SP2)

After the last download of critical security patches, my home wireless connection stopped working. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the number. So I'm not sure which patch is the culprit. I've got at least 19 different Hotfixes installed right now. They don't have installation dates. Does the number order mean anything. Can I assume that the highest number is the most recent? Some of patches have Knowledge Base articles associated with them and some have dates, but not all. Is Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q815021 earlier than Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819696?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP Hotfix (Win XP SP2)

I don't think that KB numbers are sequential. To find out about the dates of hotfixes, you must look up the KB articles. You can do this by typing support.microsoft.com/?kbid=nnnnnn in the address bar of your browser where nnnnnn is the KB number. Here are links to the two you mention:

KB 815021
    KB 819696

Thanks

You can also use our old friend " Belarc Advisor" to check hotfixes, along with other details. If you don't have it go to: BELARC

It will tell you all installed hotfixes, if they were successful or not, the date and also a link to a MSKB article for each one, telling you exactly what the hotfix was for.
    Along with Aida32, Belarc gives you GOOD information about your system.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Belarc is great. It had the dates of the patches, so it was easy to figure out.

Thanks.

Hans, I had gone to the KB, but not all of the articles had dates on them, so I couldn't tell which was most recent.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know about the sequence of KB articles, because often they release revised KB's months later with the exact same number so in those cases they aren't sequential, and searching for the answer didin't come up with help.

But I do know the Security bulletin numbering sequence is sequential--look at:

Security Site Hotfix List by Date

Later gets the higher number with these.

Even if you know the KB sequence though, with 19 bromides, I don't know how you sort out the side effects.

I think Belarc, AIDA32, Sysoft Sandra are great free inventories--neat and very helpful but I don't think they're going to sort out a problem of behavior and which hotfix may have caused it. But if you know when the behavior you want to fix started, then they may help. What happens if you put in 3-6 say, at the same time before your wireless connection stopped?

There are also registry keys to go and look for the hotfix list, posted in several past XP threads.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Cathy--

Why not try System Restore to get back your wireless function, and then put in the patches you want if they're not there one by one?

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Thanks. The List by Date was exactly what I needed. It was after the latest hotfix. I uninstalled the last one and my wireless works again.

I've had bad luck with system restore in the past. Especially now that it's been a while. I'd like to avoid that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'd be interested in hearing exactly what the bad luck was Cathy. Usually when people complain about System Restore, they are frustrated that it wouldn't work at the particular restore point they tried. They have a tendancy to get corrupted if you turn it off, or more commonly if people have an "improper shutdown" but many points are usually available if you persevere and go a little further back. I'd like to help your outlook on system restore if I can because I haven't seen it hurt anyone except in the sense that it won't work at a certain restore point I may be able to help you with a SR question. Also SR from Safe Mode with A Command Prompt can save your OS often when you crash and have a BSOD where you can't boot to Windows.

I received this from Technet's regular email called Technet Flash today:

Spotlight:

"Microsoft is now releasing Security Bulletins once a month to give IT administrators increased predictability and manageability. The first release on October 15 contains critical security updates for Microsoft Windows and Exchange Server."

Microsoft Windows Security Bulletin Summary for October, 2003 Print Issued: October 15, 2003 Version Number: 1.0

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Instead of, or in conjunction with, System Restore, give GoBack by Roxio a whirl. It has saved me a lot of grief and aggravation over the years.

joie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've only used system restore once, and it was a while ago. Probably a different computer and an early XP. I had to reconfigure almost everything. My templates and preferences were all gone. I tried a lot of different things before I tried system restore.

I've found the XP is fairly different on Dell vs. IBM. I had many more problems with my IBM.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If only System Restore caused that to happen, it'd be unusual but I'm sure anything can and does happen with software. I don't categorize System Restore as a risky move with a significant percentage of bad outcomes and the literature on it doesn't.

I'm not versed enough to talk XP Dell vs. XP IBM-- because both of them make pretty good machines consistently as far as I can tell.

SMBP