Thread: Wierd sounds

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd sounds

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but my attempts to get answers elsewhere (outside the Lounge) have been fruitless. Here's the situation; I'm trying to turn a machine I've used for accounting into a "media" machine (Dell Dimension 4100, Win2K, 80GB HD, 1.8 GHz, with 512 memory. I removed the CD drive and replaced it with a Micro Advantage 52x24x52 CD-RW device. I also installed an audio cleaning package and Real Player 8.1. Now the sound coming out of the machine sounds like Alvin and the Chimpmunks or a 33 1/3 RPM played on 45 RPM (can't seem to think of any current analogies). To further compound analysis, there were no speakers attached before I started the process, so I'm only assuming that something in this process caused the problem.

I've been in touch with Micro Advantage who suggested removing the drivers and rebooting, which I did... several times. I've also un-installed the Audio Cleaner, but not Real Player. I've checked System Devices and everything seems OK. Even ran Norton to see if it could find anything and here I am.

At my wits end.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wierd sounds

A few basic questions first. Why did you remove the original CD drive? Was it malfunctioning? Did you not have another slot for the second drive? Is the new drive set to playback digital media? If you have the space put the original drive back in the slot it came from and put your new drive in another slot. If "Alvin" still rears his voice with the old drive, try a downloaded wav file played with both RealPlayer and WMP. You might want to uninstall the audio drivers and reinstall them. You could have a bad sound board. Download and run the diagnostics from the Dell web site or the CD that came with the computer. If it is stilll under warranty call Dell for a replacement. This is all mundane stuff to do, but as we are all aware computers eliminate all your free time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wierd sounds

First, thanks for the thoughtful reply. You've given me several avenues to try and I will. In answer to why I removed the drive: the original CD drive was read only. I wanted to record, so out came the old, and in with new. Hello Alvin.

I'll let you know how it goes.