Thread: Mouse Problem

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse Problem

A friend had a power spike yesterday and after the power spike (computer shut down and restarted immediately), her left mouse button will not "open" any of the desktop icons. I can right-click and select OPEN and the program opens and runs fine. The left click button will open the START button as it will the SETTINGS and CONTROL PANEL. But once I was in the Control Panel, I had to right-click on MOUSE to open it. The basic problem seems to be that left-clicking does not start the executable file in the short cut icons. The Button Configuration is all OK for the mouse. I can left-click and hold and drag icons and windows. This is strange. Oh, I did switch to another mouse and had the same problem. Thanks for any and all help.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Mouse Problem

What kind of Mouse are you using? You might want to reinstall the drivers for it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is an optical mouse - just went over and installed the driver - which made no difference. The problem seems to be when left clicking on an EXE file - nothing happens. Otherwise, the left click does work - like on START, or NEXT or other non-EXE files. I ran SFC which did not do anything to resolve the problem. Any other suggestions?? Appreciate the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've got a question - when you say "left clicking" you DO mean double-clicking, don't you? It happens that I'm one of a minority of people who happen to like the single-click option to execute. If you ARE using single-click, you might check the settings to see if the crash accidently changed anything. Otherwise, I don't know of anything in a mouse, optical or not, that would cause it to selectively fail to recognize ONLY an EXE element. If you can't run EXE files, you ought to be safe and run stuff like AdAware and/or Spybot. <!post=See this post.,296439>See this post.<!/post> As an alternative to re-installing the drivers, try going in to Device Manager and DELETE the mouse. See what happens when you re-boot. That might be "cleaner" than just installing the driver on top of itself.