Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Search & Google Toolbars conflict (IE 6 (.1?))

When I installed the Google Search TB on my wife's machine, (menus from memory as I'm not by the machine) I selected "Set as Default TB", and then in View, Toolbars, UNchecked the default MS Search TB. When IE reopened, MS Search came up, but not Google, so I manually set View, Toolbars, Check the Google TB, UNcheck the MS Search TB again, go into Google settings, set it as "Not the default TB", close IE, reopen, now they both show! I can't seem to hide the default MS Search TB.

Anybody else seen this annoyance, have a solution?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search & Google Toolbars conflict (IE 6 (.1?))

Can't help, since the MS Search Toolbar isn't listed in my View => Toolbars.

I do have Norton AntiVirus though (unchecked)...

Are you using Google Toolbar 2.0, with the Popup Blocker?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Google 2.0 TB with Pop-Up Block enabled. I don't have a Search TB on my IE 6.0.28nnnn at work, I will look closer into where her Search TB comes from.
    UTC -7ąDS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

I've done some searching around and know the right registry key but not sure about the values because they aren't explicit. I went to every entry but sometimes on right click modifying only came up with binary data even when not clicking the binary entry and it might as well be another language. Most of the entries besides my Memriam Webster Dictionary have values that are GUID's or have been assigned or registered as GUID's.

The keys often mentioned are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerToolbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerToolbar

You might have better luck with the values. The first one has values from some toolbars from the View menu I can clearly ID. Like JohnGray, I have the Google Toolbar but no entry for the Search toolbar on my view menu.

I wonder if trying to rebuild the IE and Google bar at this site will correct your problem:

Reset IE's Toolbar Menu

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

Take a look at this discussion of "Search Engine Change to Google" at the "S" category of Kelly's Korner A to Z and see if this gives you any ideas to get this the way you want.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I uninstalled the MS Search TB via Control Panel, Add/Remove, and all seems to be right. I did not need to refresh or reinstall Google. But it's annoying not to just be able to check and uncheck View TB to make it work.
    UTC -7ąDS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

One of many scores of annoyances it would be nice to fix during the next two years while Longhorn rolls out. But you can see great suggestions in the Lounge for the OS, and on the Office and Word NG's where MS pays employees to monitor to bring the suggestions into the next roll out. Many of them aren't seeing the light of day in Office Systems 2003, but the more you work with it and see MS demonstrate its features the most powerful changes by far are aimed at interaction with about 6 servers in an enterprise system, including Win 2003, SQL, Exchange 2003, Windows Sharepoint Services (newly renamed), Information Rights Management Server, and their Project Server.

What I'm saying is that most of the useful suggestions I see to incorporate in the next OS and the next version of Office are just never touched by MS and incorporated--so I don't think the focus groups cut it and NG's are largely ignored by the development teams.

SMBP