New Lounger
    Thanks

NT 4 running Outlook 2000

I have a client machine (NT 4 Wkstn, SP-4) running Office 2000. Today OL would not launch (gave server timeout.) No one else on the network having any problems, and this mailbox able to be accessed from another machine. Deleted and recreated profile on the NT box to be sure name could be resolved. It could, though very slowly--maybe 2 minutes vs. 10 seconds.

Tried to repair Office, no change. Removed to reinstall thinking corrupt files may not have been detected. No change. Now getting message in application log: Event ID: 1004 from MsiInstaller. Details: Detection of product '{00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}', feature ;OfficeUserData', component '{C9AF9050-C8BE-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed.

Removed Office again, ran Eraser and RegClean utilities, reinstall. Same event error. Outlook will launch after the first 90 second time out but total time to open is close to two minutes. Again, this compared to the usual 10 seconds. Once the mailbox is open, access to each folder is rapid. But every time the application is closed and reopened it is very slow.

Between one of the steps, I upgraded the NT SP to 6A thinking some system files might be at fault. No new applications installed recently, had the user change their network password thinking maybe had been on the threshold of a change. The machine is running Norton AV 2000. Unregistered dll per TechNet Article Q262530. No dial-up adapter on this machine. Also tried setting RPC services to start manually vs automatically. Still no success.

Can anybody shed any light on this? I would be very, very grateful. Thanks for any and all help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NT 4 running Outlook 2000

I don't know if you've solved this or not, but sounds like the DNS domain name is not entered in Network Neighborhood TCP/IP properties. Example: domainname.com. If outlook can't find the domain it takes a long time to open.