Thread: Record counter

Lounger
    Thanks

Record counter

I'm attempting to write a series of queries that will "count" the number of records returned, and create a number, in a column in the result set (an incrementally increasing number). Is there an easy way to do that?
    Thanks!
    Lance

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Record counter

Nevermind, I think I figured out a way to solve my problem!
    Thanks anyway!
    Lance

LuiGreco

How did you get this to work? I'm looking to do the same sort of thing and am not having any luck.

I tried using count in the query but all I get is 1 and not the total count of records.
    Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I actually didn't get the record counter to show.
    What I really wanted is only a certain number of values. I thought a record counter would be the way to go.
    However I found another way to accomplish what I wanted.

In access there is a query property called "top values" I only wanted the 250 values to be returned for my query, so I set the "top values" property to 250. I also wanted a random selection of records. So, using a technique I found in Woody's Access Watch, I created a calculated value called RandomID as follows "randomID: Rnd([fieldnamex])" and I sorted the results in ascending order. I felt that would give me a random sorting of 250 values from the table. So, I got the results I was looking for without having to add a record counter to the results.