Star Lounger
    Thanks

what date is it? (Acces XP)

I have a sql query of :
    select sum(Fpduration) from sickhist where staffid = 424 and startdate >= dateadd("yyyy",-1,startdate) and startdate < #10/7/2003#
    when i paste this into SQL view of a query it runs and retuns invalid data (ie not what i would expect).

When i view the same query in design view the criteria for the query has changed the date value from #10/7/2003# to #7/10/2003#. This seem to be where the incorrect data retrieval happens.

Can anyone please explain what is happening and how i can avoid it please? I am trying to set the SQL from VB so this change in format is transparent, i just get incorrect results in the form.

thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: what date is it? (Acces XP)

The query design window uses the date format set in the Regional Settings (or Regional and Language Options) control panel. SQL always uses US format m/d/yyyy. So if your date setting is d/m/yyyy, October the 7th will be displayed as #7/10/2003# in design view, but as #10/7/2003# in SQL view. To put it another way, in design view you must enter dates according to your personal system settings, and in SQL view, you must enter dates the US way.

If you assemble an SQL string in VBA code, you must ensure that dates are converted to US format. For example, if you want to refer to a date in a text box txtDate on a form:

Dim strSQL As String
    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE MyDate < #" & Format(Me.txtDate, "m/d/yyyy") & "#"

I hope this clarifies things; if not, don't hesitate to post back with more questions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: what date is it? (Acces XP)

Many thanks that's cleared things up.