Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98SE Updates

With the news that MS will cease supporting 98 in Jan 2004, I've seen "grab em while ya can" advice for the updates still available on the MS website. I've managed to at least make a list of all those available that I can find, and am considering "borrowing" some broadband from a friend for what might amount to some significant downloading. Before doing this, I'd like some advice on some things:

Is there any other source (magazine CDs etc.) of the cumulative patches and updates?
    If I manage to obtain all of them and burn to a CD, how would I know the order in which to apply them?
    They seem to number about 150 in total. Is there a list somewhere of the important/ critical ones, and which are "optional"?

Any other relevant comment welcome too. Thanks.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98SE Updates

Hi Alan:
    I got advice on how to get the patches from Lonnie in <post#=302064>post 302064</post#>. Haven't done it yet, but I should get crackin'.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows 98SE Updates

The following is from http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=fh;EN-US;w98, one needs to LEARN what MS Support" is.

Attention
    In accordance with the Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle, no-charge support for Windows 98 will end on July 1, 2003. Paid-only support will continue to be available from Microsoft at $35 per incident. Support will also be available from some third party providers.

Microsoft will also continue to offer a variety of self-help resources on the Product Support Services Web site until at least January 16, 2006, two years after phone support for Windows 98 ends on January 16, 2004. These resources include the Microsoft Knowledge Base and Newsgroups.

Note: About clue is "PHONE support ends Jan 16, 2004"

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.