Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE Not Responding (WinXP Home/OE 6)

Hi all,

I'm suddenly having trouble with OE as I open it. Haven't made any significant changes to the system, but all of a sudden last week I opened up OE and I get my login box for my ISP and when I enter the info the screen just hangs and OE becomes completely unresponsive. I can see my contact list in the lower left corner of the screen and my folder list above it, but no emails appear. Very frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE Not Responding (WinXP Home/OE 6)

Troy--

More information would sure go a long way. I'd appreciate knowing what OS you're running and version of IE-- this will help me help you because some of the fixes can depend on versions. For openers, I'd try to open it, note the time and put up the run box, type "eventvwr.msc" in it if your OS has an event viewer, and see if you can harvest any helpful error messages. Are you seeing any OE will close or other error messages you can give? I'd run SFC or System File Checker which can often repaire OE and IE--and sometimes the Windows OS--is relatively quick with little downside. [b]What happens when you bring up the run box with the Windows key and the "r" key and type in "msimn.exe"?

You may also get some help from a number of links to reapair OE (although the original problem was different) in:

Posts 295656 and the bottom half of Post 295483 below after viral scan

In addition to the many links to MSKB's and 'repair OE articles' in these posts, I'd emphasize this one:

Repair or Reinstall OE but I'd sure do the easy things first like run SFC before I edited the registry and made other moves.

SMBP

Thanks

Can you tell whether the problem is with connecting or with getting mail? To disentangle these things, try connecting first (either using a dial-up connection icon/program or by starting Internet Explorer), and then check mail.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

I'm running XP Home and IE 6.0. Not seeing any other error messages when it happens, the program just hangs. I've been to the MS Knowledge Base and saw some similar problems that seem to be solved by editing the registry. I have yet to try these as I've never done it before and wanted to try this board first before going in that direction. I've also tried uninstalling IE and then re-installing it but it did not help.

Troy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem seems to be in getting the mail. I have no trouble connecting to the Net. I'm on a cable modem if that helps at all.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Open IE and go to you cable provider home page, and open your mail from there and see if there is a problem. Several times I have found a VERY large file stuck in my mail box. I deleted them from there and all was well later using Outlook and Outlook Express.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Troy--

If other work arounds don't help, the first thing I'd do would be to run System File Checker. You haven't done that and that's why the tool was refined from 98 for the NT kernel OS's. It is very safe. You can set a restore point first if you like and it may do that anyway. Windows File Protection as you may know checks for damaged .dlls and other file types and replaces them with intact files. It often wants the XP CD, so pop it in first. Then at the run box of dos prompt type "sfc /puge cache." Runs in seconds. Then type "sfc /scannow." Takes about 30 minutes and you may have to hit retry a bunch of times to push the progress bar--some don't some do. The only notification that you ran it successfully will be a message in Event Viewer ("eventvwr.msc") in your run box that says "Windows File Protection Ran Successfully." I'll put up some links that context it.

Post 297277

222193: Description of the Windows File Protection Feature

310747: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

As to the regedits, anyone appreciates your respect for the registry, but there is nothing ambiguous about those edits in terms of the values--often there is and you can provide backup security by both setting a system restore point and exporting the registry keys.

Here is info on exporting a key and other means of backing up a regedit. Take a look at the MSKB's on fixing OE and also this article for exporting a registry key to back the key up. Then if you don't like the result you can return the key to its original:

Backing Up and Restoring the Windows XP Registry

SMBP