2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Minimize/Restore Buttons (2002)

How do I deactivate the minimize and restore buttons at the top of the screen that affect the entire program. I have deactivated the quit button but I would like to prevent students from minimizing Access and getting to the desktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Minimize/Restore Buttons (2002)

Do you really mean desktop, or do you mean the database container window? It seems to me your students would need to have access to the desktop to start Access to begin with. So I don't understand why you would want to bar them from seeing the desktop. On the other hand, the database container window can be blocked at startup using the Tools/Startup dialog box. Have I gone off the track?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Apart from Wendell's remarks, it goes against the grain of Windows to prevent users from switching to the desktop or to another application. Within your Access app, you can more or less do what you prefer, but to enforce that they stay within Access is not in accordance with Windows interface design.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree this is an unusual request. I have four computers in a high school library that are used only for research. I created an Access switchboard to provide links to all the available research tools the students can use. I have the switchboard opening automatically when you boot up the computer.

The students keep closing or minimizing Access. Since they are not going to do anything with the desktop I was looking for a way to prevent the minimizing. I already have grayed out the Quit button.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you set the Modal and Popup properties of the Switchboard form to Yes, the students won't be able to click in the Access application window, including the minimize/restore buttons. They will still be able to right-click the Windows task bar and select an option from the popup menu, such as "Show Desktop", though.