Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Woody's Email Essentials New Newsletter

I posted this here to remind people in the Lounge that Woody has launched a new newsletter called Woody's Email Essentials aka "WEE" and the only way to get it is to subscribe to it. Back issues of WEE aren't going to be availalbe on a web site.

"Advice on email etiquette, spam prevention, email services and scams. Help for email programs, especially Outlook Express! Woody's EMAIL Essentials is going to be one of those things you'll read and refer to."

LInk or address to subscribe is here.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Woody's Email Essentials New Newsletter

<hr>Back issues of WEE aren't going to be available on a web site<hr>
    Rather a disappointing decision, which relies the email mechanism always working, and on you always getting the Newsletter, and it not being removed by "enthusiastic" administrators, automatic antiSpam routines, etc etc...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

The false positives problem is why I prefer to filter on my own computer rather than let someone else do it for me.

On the other hand, the Brightmail approach seems to work very well: they seed the Internet with addresses that never receive valid mail, and use that to determine which messages must be spam. My AT&T Worldnet account is filtered by Brightmail, and it's truly amazing.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

There is an article in yesterday's (October 15) IBD--Investor's Business Daily on Spam Filters destroying important email. IBD does 2 pages on the computer industry hardware and software issues everyday. If I can find it, I'll link it. Online order receipts, newsletters, bills, and promotions. We have one Lounger who can't get Microsoft Security Bulletins because his ISP has some issue to iron out with MS--which doesn't make a lot of sense and I don't know if the issue encompasses a spam decision on the part of the ISP.

Sometimes perfectly legitimate business mailings are getting on blacklists, despite a focus to prevent this. A director for global marketing for golf gear, for example, trying to reach potential customers in a list that has been narrowed to do this to reach clients has had these problems. All of his mailings have been sent at explicit customer request.

Ferris Research the article says, has put the cost of false positive spam snagging at $3.5 Billion for U.S. buisinesses in 2003 alone. One of the remedies being tested is a special server set up called Bonded Sender which works like a DNS blacklist in reverse. An email maker gets pre-cleared after agreeing to pay a cash bond and sign a set of rules.

CNET has been avoiding using all caps are phrases like "click here to unsubscribe." They also screen advertisers to exclude known spammers--probably easier said than done.

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My recent factual experience is AT&T Worldnet also has its own filtering procedure.
    Gre

Thanks

I was somewhat unclear, wasn't I. AT&T contracts with Brightmail on my behalf. As explained here, they delete the mail automatically unless you set up a "screened mail" folder. I hadn't bothered, since it's cleared after 3 days and I don't use the web site to check mail, but just out of curiosity I turned it on tonight.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Somehow, one of my private email accounts - on an Austrian cable network "@chello.at" - was unilaterally deemed to be spam by worldnet. ( I have confirmed with the addressee - on whose "behalf" the blocking was carried out - that they have never signed up for any spam-filtering or blacklists.)

Having been placed on a blacklist by "the AT&T Internet Investigations and Security Services Team at abuse_rbl@abuse-att.net", I was told AT&T could only accept the assurances of my cable ISP that I was not a spammer. In fact, I was never actually notified that my mail account was no longer blacklisted. I ended up waiting about a week, carrying out any correspondence into worldnet by webmail, and then found that mail was no longer bounced.

I can possibly speculate coherently how this came about, but, at the end of the day, you (and anybody else) - as a worldnet user - are entitled to be aware of such things.
    Gre

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. In an earlier age, before we got wise and locked down our mail server, we got added to a blackhole list and a small but important chunk of our outgoing e-mail stopped getting delivered to its intended recipients. Blacklisting of open relays is a serious problem, and I personally don't think it's a reliable way to filter mail. But as a form of extortion, it is effective. I'm not sure if that's what happened to Chello, but it wouldn't surprise me... Now, if only your address was blocked, rather than all mail from your server, perhaps you were the victim of the spam equivalent of identity theft?