Thread: Security (2000)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security (2000)

I have two data bases. #1 has a form with a sub form. The subform is linked to a table in the the second data base. I don't care who sees the form in the first data base, but unless a password is entered, I want to secure the sub form from being opened and seen in the first form. I have tried to set a password in the second data base, but when I open the first data base form,with the sub form, I get a message that says the password is wrong. I don't get a chance to enter a password. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Security (2000)

I presume you set a password using the Tools / Security / Set Database Password menu when the database was open. If that's the case and you have linked the table in database 2 into database 1, then you will get a password prompt as soon as you open database 1. So are you dynamically linking the table when the form is opened using VBA? I guess we need a few more details about how you are attempting to do this, but my recommendation would be to implement Access User security.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DB 1 has no password, I don't care who sees it, DB 2 has a password, set using the Tools etc: method, It contains the info not to be seen. When I open DB 1 and then open the form in question, I immediately get the message " not correct password" No chance given to enter a password. The area of the subform is blank. The form in DB 2 is linked using the "File - Get External data" method. I'm not sure how to restrict just one form from being seen, using Access user security.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually you should get a password prompt the minute you open DB1 if the table has been linked in a previous session. The first time you link the table from DB2 into DB1 you should get a password prompt when you open DB2 to specify the table to be linked. In any event, I think you will find that the database password approach has a number of limitations.

With Access User Security, each person opening a database has to provide a userID, and depending on settings, a unique password. In addition, there are a series of permissions that apply to each user so some users can see data but not edit, others may not be able to see some data at all. But the most useful aspect is that you can determine who opened the database, and either link the subform dynamically, based on whether or not that user should see the data, or you can simply make the form not visible. That does involve a small amount of code, but it isn't very difficult. For more info on User Security, you might find our tutorial helpful.
    Wendell