New Lounger
    Thanks

Runtime error 5852 (W-2000)

When I close Word after editing a document I get a Run-time error 5852. I tell it OK twice and it closes. I am not running any macros, visual basic, or mail merge. I have run the Office Repair Tool, no help. I haven't tried anything with Office XP. This is on a Sony VAIO laptop running XP Home. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Runtime error 5852 (W-2000)

Even if you haven't intentionally introduced macros or VB code into your environment, you may have installed a program that has done so. If you start up Word using:

Start menu > Run > winword.exe /a

you should get an "out of the box" configuration of Word. Will that shut down without an error? If so, it's most likely that you do have an add-in set up that's causing this problem. Some add-ins are listed in the Tools>Templates and Add-ins dialog, while other are COM Add-ins and appear in their own dialog (you can customize menus to get a button/menu item for this dialog).

Phil's famous star post (I haven't memorized the number, you can find it in the list on the Lounge Matters board) lists these steps, and others, in more detail.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Runtime error 5852 (W-2000)

PDFMaker.dot seems to be the culprit here. I had the error message twice and this was in the Add-Ins twice. Unchecking it didn't keep it unchecked so I moved the files and it is working fine. I haven't tried to create a PDF from Word, that may be the next problem but I've never done it from Word so I don't think I am missing anything. Thanks for the help.