New Lounger
    Thanks

changing font crashes word/excel (XP Home SP1, Of

I've just upgraded XP Home and Office 2002 with critical and recommended updates. Now in both Word and Excel, if I click on the dropdown menu for font, the program crashes and the only information given is the 'send error report' box saying 'Microsoft Word/Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We apologise for any inconvenience'. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: changing font crashes word/excel (XP Home SP1, Of

1. Download and install TweakUI from Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

2. Click Start | All Programs | PowerToys for Windows XP | TeweakUI. On TweakUI dialog, click "Repair" on the left pane, then from drop-down menu on the right pane choose "Repair Font folder" and click "Repair now" button. Click "OK".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: changing font crashes word/excel (XP Home SP1

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't fix the problem. TweakUI has lots of nice things in it though...
    John Field

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How many fonts do you have in your Fonts folder? (see Start | Control Panel, Appearance and Themes, See Also > Fonts.) If you have very many fonts, this can cause problems.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: changing font crashes word/excel (XP Home SP1, Of

This comes up on the Word NG's and the most common answer from the Word MVP's is to check the printer driver and update it.

You might also try updating all patches for Word 2002--at the Office site. There aren't that many, and the patches fix a lot of similar problems and some crashes although I did not see the exact font menu open crash in the long list:

There is info here to check the registry key for fonts and also the Fontext.dll:

Microsoft Word MVP Site Frequently Encountered Problem With Fonts

Last I'd install this Security Patch because it deals with a number of functionality issues that aren't security holes and you might correct the behavior in Word and Excel. See List of Issues Fixed by the Patch. Sometimes issues not listed are corrected and I would strongly encourage going to the Office sitse and getting all patches for any componence of Office XP (Word 2002, Excel 2002, ect.) particularly for the applications you use day in day out:

824934: Overview of the Word 2002 Security Patch: September 3, 2003

hth,

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and SMBP,
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I installed a new printer driver on the XP machine (the printer hangs off a networked Win2K machine) and this seems to have fixed the problem. Many thanks, it's not a solution which would have occurred to me!
    Cheers,
    John