3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Storing Formated Text (Access 2000)

Is there a way to store formatted text (such as paragraphs) in access, which includes alignment, postition and font style (bold, underline, etc) , or do I have to link it to a word doc?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Storing Formated Text (Access 2000)

You can use a Rich Textbox ActiveX control, but you'll have to handle it completely in VBA code, since it is not a native Access control. I never found it worth the hassle. Linking to a Word document is probably a better bet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okie Dokie

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've got the same requirement, but want to use it for Outlook emails. Are you saying that I should pop up WordPad or Word to allow the user to put text in (with bold, etc), then save it, then call up outlook via vba and call the BodyText from the RTF document? If I DID want to use the RTF control in access using vba, how would I do it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the user to enter formatted text, you can use Automation to start/activate Outlook from Excel, create a new e-mail message, fill the To: box (for example) from Access, then transfer control to the user.

The problem with the Rich Textbox control is that it has all the capabilities for formatting text, but doesn't provide an interface to do so, so you'd have to create your own toolbars, menu items and keyboard shortcuts to let the user set and modify font, font size, text style etc., so in fact, you'd be emulating WordPad. Plus, you may run into problems if you want your database to run on other computers. If you're interested in the properties, methods and events of the Microsoft Rich Textbox Control, see the MSDN documentation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to Hans' suggestions, you might consider using an ActiveX control from one of the many vendors. FMS Inc has a Rich Text control that is a fair bit more robust than the Microsoft one. Also, DBi Technologies has a hyperlink control that will let you link to documents of many different types. Storing objects such as Word documents in Access databases causes serious bloating, so we usually recomment a link (or hyperlink) as an alternative.
    Wendell