2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

AutoText (Word 2000)

Hello Word Gurus.

Is there any setting I can disable to stop Word automatically putting in an extra space after AutoText entries that I have defined. For example, I have created an AutoText entry to insert NAME) with a space included after the ")" character. However, when I go to use this entry, there is an extra space inserted automatically when I start typing! So I end up with 2 spaces. I have tried creating another entry without the space, however when inserted it displays no space until you start typing!

Looking forward to a response.

Cheers,

Jocelyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoText (Word 2000)

Interesting phenomenon. It turns out to be related to whether an AutoComplete suggestion is displayed
    <UL><LI>If "Show AutoComplete suggestions" is off, Word doesn't add an extra space when you press F3 to insert the AutoText fragment and continue typing.
    <LI>If "Show AutoComplete suggestions" is on:
    <UL><LI>If the name of the AutoText entry is less than four characters in length, no AutoComplete suggestion is displayed. When you press F3 to insert the AutoText entry and continue typing, no extra space is added.
    <LI>If the name of the AutoText entry is at least four characters long, Word displays an AutoComplete suggestion. When you press F3 or Enter to insert the AutoText entry and continue typing, an extra space is added.[/list][/list]So to avoid the extra space, turn off "Show AutoComplete suggestions" or give your AutoText entry a name of less than four characters.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Nice find, Hans. I suppose an alternative is to have AutoComplete on, have the name more than 4 letters, create the entry without a space on the end. It will automatically put in a space when you type. Not intuitive, but it works.

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks kindly for your response.

Word is a frustrating beast!

Cheers,

Jocelyn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is there any way to access AutoText entries (Word 97/2000) programmatically (that is, through VBA) or any other way than the menus? I'm having serious problems keeping the formatting on this AutoText entry I need to change.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

AutoText entries are exposed in the Word object model. In the Visual Basic Editor, activate the object browser (F2) and type autotext into the search box, then press Enter. You''ll see a list of items related to AutoText. To get help on an item, click on it and press F1.

Thanks

This sounds as though perhaps it should be a new thread. Could you explain the problem in more detail? You can programmatically change the content of an AutoText entry, but in a recent test (see <post#=300167>post 300167</post#>), I found that this trashed the original style information. Your mileage may vary.