Thread: Sound Recorder

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sound Recorder

I have a new 800Mhz Pentium III running Windows 98SE. I have a video capture card with which I can make AVI files from a video camera. AVI files made this way play back perfectly with both sound and vision. One of the leads from the video card goes to the mic input of the sound card (Creative VIBRA 128). However, when I detach this lead and plug my microphone into the sound card to use Sound Recorder, it does not work. The microphone works perfectly with Sound Recorder on my other computer. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Sound Recorder

Can you use Sound Recorder to just record sound from the video capture card OK?
    Check the physical attributes of the two plugs. Is one stereo and the other mono? (Let me know if you want me to expand on this). It is possible the input socket is expecting a stereo jack and plugging in a mono one is shorting out the signal.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You say "Can you use Sound Recorder to just record sound from the video capture card OK?". Unsure of how one would do this. However, when playing from the camera through the video capture card the sound comes out of one speaker only.
    The two plugs (the one from the vidcap card and the one from my microphine)look identical to me.

Thanks

Ok, I'm guessing at this.
    I assume that because you connect the video capture card to the 'mic' input, the is where the sound is going into your system.
    So, with an output from the vcc going into the mic input, you should be able to record with Sound Recorder. This will test that Sound Recorder works. If it does, the problem lies with the microphone.
    BTW, are you sure you have the vcc going into 'mic'? (I have been confused by badly labelled inputs before.) I would expect it to go into 'line in' which is expecting a slightly amplified signal. Plug the mic in, open up your expanded Volume Control (showing all inputs) and crank the volume right up. If there is something coming in from the mic, you should hear it out your speakers.

As for getting sound out of one speaker only, my theory is as follows:
    Picture below shows a 'stereo' jack plug which has three metal parts. I believe the 'common' is the longer length of metal nearest the plastic part. The two channels are the tip and the central section of metal. If you have a 'mono' jack, this will have only two sections, a tip and a longer 'common' section. Thus, you will only have one signal on the tip, the other channel being shorted out - hence sound from one speaker only. I think you can get adapters that split a mono plug to a stereo plug, otherwise you might find a 'mono' setting somewhere if you want sound from both sides.

Hope this makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (6.6 KB, 2 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You say "So, with an output from the vcc going into the mic input, you should be able to record with Sound Recorder. This will test that Sound Recorder works. If it does, the problem lies with the microphone."
    I have tried this and Sound Recorder records sound from the video camera. Therefore Sound Recorder works. But the problem cannot be the microphone, because it works on my other computer!

HAve checked the plug and it is mono.

Where does this leave us?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of now is the difference between the two inputs.
    The likelihood is that the VCC signal is slightly amplified and is therefore more suited to the Line In input. If you insert the mic into Line In, I would not expect it to work well at all - i.e. VERY quiet.
    So, make 100% sure you are using Mic In and not Line In.

Next, expand the volume control to show all the controls - Options | Properties - and also select Advanced.
    Play around with all the volume controls - tapping the microphone should produce something out of your speakers. You should be able to identify exactly which input you are using.

On my system (W2K with onboard sound) I have an additional 'Advanced' button under the Mic volume control which gives extra options to try. Do you, and can you try that?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I seem to be at a dead end. Sound Recorder works because it can record sound from the Video Capture Card with the lead from the VCC going into MicIn on the sound card. I have done this several times and Sound Recorder plays it back perfectly.

However, if I take the lead from the VCC out and plug in my mic instead, I can record nothing. The mic is OK because it records on Sound Recorder on my other PC. I have also tried a second microphone, it works OK on my other PC but not on my new one.

I have tried adjusting everything on Volume Control with no success. The Advanced button under microphone has bass and treble sliders greyed out and a check mark beside 1Microphone Boost. Unchecking this makes no difference.

Have you any other ideas, or suggestions as to other sources of help?