New Lounger
    Thanks

WWW 6.23 - Why Service Packs Are Better... (Windows XP SP1)

Hi, everyone.

I just finished reading WWW 6.23, and I agree.. it's definitely time for Windows XP Service Pack 2 to arrive. With the recent wave of worms (Blaster, et.al.) it becomes very difficult to get a new machine set up and fully patched through Windows Update before becoming infected with any or all of the recent worms. This is especially true for systems which have to be updated from dial-up connections. After a clean install of Windows XP SP1, it can take several hours to completely download and install the full spectrum of patches - with about three or four reboots in the process. Ample time for the worms to infect the machine.

At work, we're discovering that any machine hooked up to the network that hasn't been patched is usually infected immediately. We've had to institute a policy of patching the machines before putting them on the network. It's a little easier with Windows 2000 than with Windows XP, since there are fewer patches to download and install.

Flynn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WWW 6.23 - Why Service Packs Are Better... (Wi

There's been an XP Update Rollup issued at Windows Update today - covering past outstanding XP patches to 823980. This is far enough back to fall within the patches "okayed" by Woody.

There are also a number of new patches relkeased today. It is up to you whether you wish to wait and see whether there are any compatibility issues or whether you feel more secure in injstalling them straight away.

How is it that I seem to have posted this information before SMBP?
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WWW 6.23 - Why Service Packs Are Better... (Windows XP SP1)

Flynn--

As much as anyone may think "it's definitely time for Windows XP Service Pack 2 to arrive" it's not gonna until fiscal 2004--the Beta and other XP sites have all been calling SP2 Shorthorn for months.

Microsoft doesn't agree with this idea and Jim Alchin, VP Windows platforms, announced at the 2003 Financial Analysts Meeting that SP2 is not going to be released until after July 2004 but as many a wag could chime in--the one predictable thing about Microsoft is that they ain't always predictable. You can download the powerpoint or watch the webcast:

See also:

Microsoft Confirms XP SP2 for 2004
    Windows XP SP2 Delayed Until Late 2004

In addition to the helpful suggestions above, I'd go to the Security Site for updates and you might find downloading many hotfixes at once convenient as an upside, but you won't be able to diagnose side effects by loading them one by one if there are. The tone of Woody's Watches lately has been that the patches are a lot less problematic then they've been. I haven't had problems with any of them, but I'm not running an update lab--just trying to keep my machines going.

For the Security Hotfix site:

Hotfix and Security Bulletin List, Search and Email Notification

296861: How to Install Multiple Windows Updates or Hotfixes with Only One Reboot

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I received this from Technet's regular email called Technet Flash today:

Spotlight:

"Microsoft is now releasing Security Bulletins once a month to give IT administrators increased predictability and manageability. The first release on October 15 contains critical security updates for Microsoft Windows and Exchange Server."

Microsoft Windows Security Bulletin Summary for October, 2003 Print Issued: October 15, 2003 Version Number: 1.0

SMBP

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

Elaine's recent post refers to ZDNet, which gives a December 2003 date for Windows XP Service Pack 2...

Seems to be a lot of confusion in the Microsoft camp at this point in time, going forward?!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I think it's pretty fair to use Ralph Waldo Emerson's quote in Self Reliance that "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" in reference to Microsoft and the chaos at Redmond. Mr. Emerson didn't explain the difference between a foolish consistency and a wise consistency however.

I saw the article Elaine linked quoting Rick Kaplan at Microsoft who is VP Content Development and Delivery which includes microsoft.com and the fabulously competent Windows Update service, and reports to Jim Alchin, VP Platforms, who is his big boss, essentially right under Gates and Balmer in the hierarchy, and has a history of pulling the rug out from under announcements like this one. One recent one was that OE was going to be killed, and in fact it's going to become part of Longhorn and become beefed up rather than a part of IE--maybe it will still have its IE and Outlook relationships--I dunno.

Alchin announced last week it would be delayed and he did it emphatically. Actually SP2 or SP2 or 66 is the furthest concern I have because it's always "patch patch patch patch patch" and patch some more--mostly security. I'm more interested when the patches have some functionality features, but if you have to patch a lot of machines I hope that this will become an easier thing to do.

The important issue to me is can they ever build their software so that it stops having enough vulnerabilities and buffer overruns to drive fifteen 18 wheeler trucks through sidewise. Whether they issue patches once a month or every 3 days, they haven't significantly reduced the need for them despite all the fanfares and changing names for their security initiatives, and Microsoft Security chiefs have moved through Redmond in the past two years like hyperkinetic kids playing musical chairs.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In the light of Paul Thurott's info I think there won't be an "SP2" in a little over two months, or if there is it's not going to include "Springboard." This article forecasts Beta testing of SP2 for months, inclusion of the next version of WinUp V.5 that MS has been announcing at meetings will be called Microsft Update and inclusive of all their software, and inclusion of new security components that are midway between SP2--dubbed "Shorthorn" on the Beta sites and Longhorn:

Windows XP SP2 to be 'Springboard' to Longhorn

The Register reports that Bill Gates is indicating that this technology and Longhorn are going to be later rather than sooner--if Bill Gates has anythng to say about Microsoft software:

Bill Gates: 'Longhorn is going to be late'

This may in part explain the policy of releasing monthly security roll ups to bridge the gap between SP1 and an SP2 that would come considerably later than December 2003. The other aspect is that the rollups would be more convenient provided you have a broad band connection--or download them one at a time. I think you're making a good point about delivery of roll-ups on a dial up. On a cable connection with double the original bandwidth, the last roll up took very little time.

Of course security exploits aren't waiting four weeks before they strike.

SMBP

Thanks

> At work, we're discovering that any machine hooked up to the network that hasn't been patched is usually infected immediately.

This suggests that you need to beef up your firewall protection. Today!

Thanks

Perhaps it's a bad sign that they got the subject line wrong on the Windows one (it appeared to be a duplicate of the Exchange one).

Judging from the formatting, they are trying to automate this more. Or they had people unfamiliar with keyboards format the messages.

This will take time to get right...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft has retracted Rick Kaplan's statement on October 17 3 days after he made it, but tomorrow...

Microsoft clears its own XP SP2 confusion on Oct 17

Microsoft Tells Paul Thurrott SP2 Early 2004 but...

SMBP