2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailto: Hyperlink formatting

Access97

We all know that if you enter text in a Hyperlink field it defaults to the http:// protocol. For some time, I've been looking for a solution that will allow a hyperlink field, labelled as "e-mail" to my users, to assign the mailto: protocol instead.

The only solution I've ever come up with is to set the "Default value" property to "mailto:" (including the quotes), but this only affects new entries and you have to instruct the users to enter the address after this string.

If you manually set a hyperlink field to mailto: and then enter it (carefully) you can see that the format required is:

jbloggs@testing.com#mailto:jbloggs@testing.com#

The obvious solution is to set an Input mask or the Format property to the above "format" - the only problem is how to repeat (copy) the address typed between the #mailto:xxx# characters??

Does anyone have a solution to this irritating niggle??

Thanks,

Ade

Thanks

Re: Mailto: Hyperlink formatting

Hi Ade,
    Personally, I think the easiest way to deal with this would be to have the email address control as a plain textbox with a commandbutton next to it with code like:
    Application.FollowHyperlink "mailto:" & Me.txtAddress
    in its OnClick event. This does assume though that you never want to put http addresses in that field.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailto: Hyperlink formatting

Thanks. Your right (of course), it's a workaround I've looked at, but its not really suitable for my particular circumstances.

Any other ideas out there?

Regards,

Ade