DAW

JRO CompactDatabase Method

Please has anybody got any code demonstrating how to compact a database that is proptected with user level security, using the JRO JetEngine.CompactDatabase method?

I have been trying to use the following code as per MSDN/MSKB/Technet articles. JetEng has been declared as a New JRO.JetEngine object:-

JetEng.CompactDatabase Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Database & ";Jet OLEDB:System Database =" & Mdw & ";Jet OLDEDB;User ID:=" & sUserID & ";Jet ODLEDB:Password=" & sPwd, _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & sPathName & "Backup.mdb;Jet OLEDB:System Database = " & Mdw & ";Jet OLEDB:User ID =" & sUserID & ";Jet OLEDB:Password= " & sPwd & ";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4"

Thanks

Dave.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: JRO CompactDatabase Method

Is Database a variable?
    <hr>Data Source=" & Database & ";<hr>
    I would suggest using a different variable name, since that is the name of a DAO object. And try inserting the "Jet OLEDB:" qualifier ahead of "Data Source" to see if that makes a difference.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, what kind of error are you getting? Your user needs to have adequate permissions in both Access security and network security to actually write the compacted database, so make sure that's the case. If you have guest users and this code is supposed to run, you'll have to run it using the administrator's login and password or trap the resulting error and handle it appropriately.
    Charlotte

DAW

Thanks Charlotte,

In the end I fixed the problem by changing the code to the following:-

JetEng.CompactDatabase Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Database & ";Jet OLEDB:System Database =" & Mdw & ";User ID:=" & sUserID & ";Password=" & sPwd, _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & sPathName & "Backup.mdb;Jet OLEDB:System Database = " & Mdw & ";User ID =" & sUserID & ";Password= " & sPwd & ";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4"

The difference is that I have removed the 'JET OLEDB:' bits from the parts of the string that were setting the UserId and Password properties.

Thanks

Dave.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I see. I hadn't paid full attention to that in your original post. The "Jet OLEDB:" string is only a part of the property name for Jet provider-specific properties. None of the pre-defined properties in ADO have a provider qualifier, and all of the provider-specific properties do.
    Charlotte