3 Star Lounger
    Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)

Dialog Flow Diagram Question (VB6)

I am attaching a flow chart that diagrams out an authentication process for an application I developed. I've never done one of these before and want to see if it makes sense. I'm referencing authentication to the Win2k server twice because I am validating the user name and some switches as a preliminary process before validating the password. I also don't know if I broke any good practices the way it is drawn. I appreciate any input.

Plutonium Lounger
    Sacramento, California, USA

Re: Dialog Flow Diagram Question (VB6)

I'm not that familiar with process diagrams as opposed to any other kind, but the diamond shape is usually an indication of a conditional branch, i.e, one way if the stated condition is met and the other way if not. The disk storage shape usually indicates a data store rather than a process, but there aren't any penalties for using shapes the way they make sense to you. Flowcharting is almost a lost art anyhow.

I think you need something more in there to indicate that the Windows 2000 user is validated and then the password for that user is validated. Then if the user and password are valid, you proceed to the form. A lot of times, this is done by putting the test (like "Is user valid?") in a diamond and showing the connection to the process that actually validates the user. Then the Yes branch of the condition would point to the "Enter Password" action. The No branch would lead to something else which your diagram doesn't show at all. Is the ASDI User Name validation an indication of a step or a condition? What happens if the user is not validated in either the database or the server?