New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing from Mozilla (Outlook 2002 sr1a)

I am working with a standalone Windows XP. The user has used Mozilla 1.4 up to now but wants to replace it with Outlook 2002. If I try to import the mail via "Import Internet Mail and Addresses" neither Netscape Mail nor Netscape Messenger works. I get no error message, but also no mail. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing from Mozilla (Outlook 2002 sr1a)

Once upon a time, you could migrate from Mozilla to Outlook successfully provided you first imported into Outlook Express and then imported into Outlook. I tried this again recently and it did not work. Some hunting indicated that importing into Eudora and then into OE and then into Outlook would work. I did try this, but had no success. (I suspect the issue may be that the Mozilla mail model indexing method has changed slightly.) You might, however, like to try these methods yourself. Please post back with any findings.
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The issue is that Microsoft (nor Eudora) has updated their import filters since the demise of Netscape 4.x.

What you need to do is download a copy of Netscape 4.x and install it. (Netscape 4.8 is available here.) <UL><LI>Go to the Run command on the Start Menu and type the full path to Netscape.exe followed by the -mail switch. <UL><LI>Something like: <LI>"C:Program FilesNetscapeCommunicatorProgramNetscape.exe" -mail[/list]<LI>Then walk through the mail set-up wizard and point it towards the parent folder for all your mail accounts. Do NOT let it use your existing prefs.js file - as it will crash. <LI>You should then get the Communicator mail client opening with a list of all your mail folders - together with their accompanying MSF indexing files. <LI>Click on each of the mail folders and let Communicator read the contents. Do not bother with the MSF files. Each folder will now also be indexed with an SNM file - which is a format that Microsoft import filters can read (unlike MSF). <LI>Open up Outlook Express and choose File|Import|Messages|Netscape Communicator, point it towards the relevant folders and import all the mail you require. <LI>Import the messages from Outlook Express into Outlook. <LI>In certain cases, you may lose some HTML formatting in the process.[/list]Sorry for my discouraging previous message.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just completed the procedures and succeeded in movng the mail, address book and distribution lists to Outlook. Express imported msf folders without asking. Attachments and html seems to have survived.
    Some of the folders did not bring the mail items from Express to Outlook. I'm not sure if that is a normal problem, but it is easy to go to the individual folders in Express and export them. Thanks for the directions.