2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

P2P Wireless Problems

I use an 802.11b wireless card on my laptop to access the Internet through my desktop which uses a dialup connection. In the beginning, it was ok. However, recently, whenever the wireless network is in operation, my desktop slows to a crawl. The desktop connection to the internet becomes very slow and all the desktop applications becomre very very slow, too. This happens even when I am not actually accessing the Internet from the laptop. Help !

Thanks

Re: P2P Wireless Problems

How do you control access to your access point? Maybe your neighbors are watching web TV through your connection?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: P2P Wireless Problems

I have a Linksys router WRT54G which in the set up page offers SSID broadcasting security for wireless access. Several differant methods are offered but basicly you enable a "key" at both the router and the PC to ensure security. WEP is the one I use and I have a random 26 digit code. I believe this code length gives me 100 million possibilities so the odds someone would find it are very low. Enabling this security on both ends of the connection is fairly easy and straight forward. Once set up you should not have to change the code unless you feel it has been compromised. Hope this helps.