New Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing Ruler

I recently made the mistake of using Word 97 as the email editor for my Exchange 5.5 installation (corporate standard). After correcting that problem, I found that the horizontal ruler in Word now rolls up like a window shade. I have the view ruler option set, but how do I make the ruler stick where it belongs? I can make it appear by placing the cursor in the extremely small space between the document and the toolbars for about 15 seconds, but if the cursor moves off the ruler, it rolls up again. Any ideas?

BAM

Re: Disappearing Ruler

Hi John,

Go to Tools/Options/General and turn off "Provide feedback with animation"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

That made the ruler disappear all together, and no amount of changing other options (or views - normal to outline or final or any combination) would bring the ruler back. At least with animated feedback, I can view the ruler.

BAM

Hi John,

Did you turn the Ruler on under the View menu?
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Duh! Thanks for the help. Why 2 locations to control 1 object? I know - that's MS...

Have a great day...
    jgh

BAM

<Why 2 locations to control 1 object?>

Hi John,

It isn't necessarily controlled in two locations. The "Provide feedback with animation" option enables AutoHide for the Ruler. If the Ruler is turned on it stays on the screen. If the Ruler is turned off it AutoHides.

So when you turn off "Provide feedback..." it just stays turned off until you turn it back on.

Now you could have just turned the Ruler on again and left the "Provide feedback..." option on and the Ruler would "stay put". However IMHO, the "Provide feedback..." option tends to make Word react slower and it is best to leave it turned off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a quick comment. It doesn't seem to matter if you have the view | ruler bar turned on or not, if you also have"provide feedback with animation" checked.

Every time I get into a new document, it seems, the ruler turns itself back off. I have been turning it on using the menu, not with the cursor (didn't even know about that trick), but it won't stay put. Very frustrating! That's how I ended up here in this thread, it got frustrating enough for me to come here and look for a solution. I've just turned the "provide feedback ... " option off, so hopefully the problem is now fixed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word should remember whether the ruler is 'on'. Do you have Adobe Acrobat? Its Word add-in is known to wreak havoc with custom settings in Word. If not, try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I do have Adobe Acrobat. So I guess that explains it. So far the ruler seems to be staying put.

I am going over to the Phil Rabichow link in any case. I'm sure I'll find something that has been giving me fits with Word :-)

Lounger
    Thanks

After a few weeks (months !) of frustration with having to turn the ruler back on when it goes missing I feel I may have solved this problem and hope to help out anyone in the Lounge still "suffering". Having exhausted Word settings etc., browsing posts here regarding feedback with animation etc., I've just discovered (on using another machine here) what caused my problem.

I noticed that when viewing a document in Print Preview on another machine, the ruler was still displaying (in Print Preview) whereas on my machine it wasn't. After playing around a bit, discovered that my ruler would remain in PageLayout view, after using Print Preview, however, if I then opened a new blank document the ruler would then "disappear". Seems that View Ruler needs to be ticked in the Print Preview view as well as PageLayout/Normal view. No more disappearing ruler.