3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't view source (6)

When I right click a web page and hit 'View Source' nothing happens. Anyone know why this might be? It always used to work, just stopped working today.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't view source (6)

Adam--

Most common cause for this is that temporary internet files (TIF's) need to be deleted. Why don't you delete TIF's and cookies and see if this enables viewing source.

If this doesn't do it, set a restore point (if there's System Restore in your OS), export the registry key and if you don't have this key create it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerView Source EditorEditor Name]
    @="C:Program FilesAccessorieswordpad.exe" ... or use whatever the path should be on your machine for your editor of choice.

Ed. by SMBP Don't just clear your cookies--clean them this way: File > Import and Export
    Export Cookies (save to a temp file) Import Cookies (from the temp file you created)
    Some people report help by changing this: Tools > Internet Options > Programs > HTML Editor

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much, deleting TIFs fixed it.

Seems ridiculous though. Have you any idea why TIFs cause this problem?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't been avoiding your question Andy, I have been looking for a decent answer. You can find hundreds of sites on how to clean them, and scores of utilities to clean them and a number of other places but the exact why is a good question I'm trying to answer.

In the first place temporary internet files aren't really files--that much explains to me why Microsoft calls them files. They are actually enteries into a file that is often referenced here and recommended for deletion to cure a number of different problems, and I suspect because the enteries and it can get corrupted. That file is %systemdrive%Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5index.dat. fondly called index.dat for short.

This doesn't answer the question though of why several sites advise solving the problem of viewing web pages. I don't think that they were corrupted and somehow prevented your viewing. But I don't know--I'm going to try to read up and search--maybe someone else will provide answers.

This is not the only situation where I don't understand the reason for cleaning TIF and what this does.

Woody advises in Timesaving Techniques that if you have enough room, to leave temporary internet files intact because it speeds up browsing. I've always been advised to clean them every so often depending upon how much you browse more if you browse more--so I'm not sure of the answer there.

SMBP

Thanks

> Have you any idea why TIFs cause this problem?

IE is opening the file from the TIFs folder. Perhaps too many files causes the problem, or some kind of corruption, or... who knows?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I would have to argue. (What a surprise, eh?)

The files in the TIF are "files" -- single entity objects with names and extensions that take up space on your hard drive and that can be manipulated by the File System. I know because I have been copying them to my desktop for many years. That is exactly how I, eh, 'borrow' ideas from various web pages. You can also borrow some 'images' or songs that same way. Give it a try. I believe you will see they really are "files"

The "cookies" in the TIF are really not cookie files -- so perhaps that is where the confusion lies??
    _______

However, I have no answer as to why IE does this. There is a related problem with a full TIF -- IE won't let you save .jpg's as .jpgs -- only as .bmp's. This of course seems very counter-intuitive as saving a .jpg as a .bmp involves first conversion and then saving a larger object.

We have been told that when the TIF is "too full" it just does these things. So, the cure is to empty the TIF. Is it really a size issue or a corruption issue? I don't know...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Good info as always from Mr. Fox. Thanks. I think Kelly had a write-up on them calling them "not files." I'll have to try this out. Appreciate it.

SMBP