2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understanding Office 2003 and VB (Office 2003)

Are the following statements a correct understanding of the Office 2003 documentation?

1. VBA (the VB6 "dialect" of VB) is supported, so that existing applications can be migrated to the new version. It is also possible to develop new macros (modules) in VBA

2. VB.NET can also be used, but it is included in a separate (fee) component called Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System. Its use is limited to Word and Excel

3. For Access I MUST still use VBA. (the same for Outlook and Powerpoint)

Question? Can (in Excel or Word) VB.NET be used simultaneously with VBA? (new modules to be developed in vb.net, alongside existing modules)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Understanding Office 2003 and VB (Office 2003)

Based on a presentation yesterday by a MS rep, your understanding is correct. And I believe the answer to your question is yes, but I certainly would verify that before I made significant plans dependent on that being true.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

VBA is still in Office 2003 and MSFT has previously stated VBA will still be in the version of Office after Office 2003.
    After that, I expect that VBA will stil lbe supported the same way that WordBasic is today, but will not be enhanced.

VBA has the advantage of being usable wit hOffice 97 thru Office 2003 and the version after that.

VSTO cannot be used prior to Office 2003.

And I do not believe a statement that Woody made about VBA not chaning in Office 2003.
    I expect that VBA in Office 2003 has been updated to match the changes in object model for each Office app.

I expect that most folkes still need to support VBA in more than one version of Office, so VBA is still the way to go.

Using VSTO and a subsequent fully integreated .NET in Office will offer some advantages, but not if you need tto use macros in multiple versions with VBA.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm inclined to agree with Howard's comment: VBA will still be available in future Versions of Office (think Access: no alternative today!) but will no longer be enhanced with bells and whistles other than adaptations to new object models. That seems the logical thing to do. Maybe it's logical to MS too...

The real Woody does not seem to share this point of view: ...

...If you're using Visual Basic for Applications, you're working with an orphan. Microsoft says it will keep VBA in one more version of Office, but with all the talk about Longhorn and Bullhorn (my name for the version of Office that'll ship with Longhorn in 2005 or 2006 or 2007), I'm skeptical - I think VBA in Office 2003 is probably the last VBA we'll see...

(cfr WOW #8.41)

If he has additional or inside information, let him please stand up!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What you're overlooking is that VBA is a part of VB. If the future versions of Office are based on VB.Net rather than VB, then the scripting language will be the language of VB.Net, not VBA. There may, in fact, be ongoing support for old code for at least a couple of versions, but that doesn't mean you should keep writing old code. Look at AccessBasic, which was lean and fast. It is no longer supported, and the same is true of WordBasic, etc. The Excel 5.0 macro language was entirely different from VBA and has been phased out. Don't bet on VBA always being there.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can live with a gradual phase out. Given the development investments done it will take several years to migrate. If I remember well, the official withdrawal for VB6 was announced for 2008. We can (hopefully) expect VBA to be supported that long.

In the meantime it would be nice, if not essential, to have VB.NET supported along with VBA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The core of Office VBA is indeed part of VB, but the object model for each app is quite independent.

VBA will likely become like WordBasic, i.e., you can still use it but significant enhancements to the Office object models will not be easily/directly usable via VBA.

The only reasons to continue to use VBA appear to be:

1. While folkes are on the learning curve with VB .NET and C#.
    Most VBA users are not programmers and likely will have difficulty migrating to VB .NET and C#.

2. Most/many users still need to write macros that work with multiple versions of Office, VBA is required to do this.

3. There seem to be those who are still mired in WordBasic and use WordBasic via the WordBasic object in VBA.
    I've not investigated whether VSTO will facilitate importing of WordBasic, I doubt that it will.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In effect, WordBasic support was dropped with Office 97, but the object model is still (clumsily) supported in VBA.
    I would expect that a "VBA object" wil be more easily supportable in VB .NET than was WordBasic in VBA.

Heck, why are we again get side-tracked by these philosophical discussions.

Both VBA and VB .NET/C# are here now, each of us will have differing reasons for migrating, or not, to Office .NET code.

Other than for code that must be shared with earlier versions of Office and for the time required for learning to (ab)use the .NET stuff in Office, all new code should be written using the .NET stuff as VBA will eventually be relegated to no more than the equivalent of a WordBasic object.

Oh well, time print out lots of MSDN stuff and peruse the crittes whilst watching football and baseball and Alias and ...!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sigh!

According to some things I read yesterday, only VBA can be used to create templates that are loaded as global templates in Word.
    Templates using .NET managed code cannot be global templates.

If that's true, that's 'nuf of a reason to stick with VBA, at least for Word, until MSFT totally integrates .NET into Office.