Star Lounger
    Thanks

financial ledgers (Access 2000)

Is there a generic set of financial accounts that can be imported and modified in an existing MS Access datatabase that are available in the marketplace in either purchased or freeware format?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: financial ledgers (Access 2000)

What do you mean by "financial accounts"? Are you talking about the account numbers and descriptions or are you talking about the functionality?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I'm referring to a complete set of accounts that has tables for receivables, payables, assets and liabilities and corresponding queries. I'm building one myself but it's taking a lot of time and I'm sure some one has done this work before. Ultimatley would like something that works like Quicken.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are numerous Access-based accounting packages that are available, but very few will let you modify them. The issue (for accountants) is that if you can modify the system, then they don't feel they have an audit trail. Also, I had the experience of working on a full-featured job-cost accounting system, and it was quite difficult - there are issues with transactions that need to be synchronized. Then shortly after we deployed a dozen or so customers, a large competitor came out with a package that cost about 10% of ours and did much of the same thing. So the project became history.

One major question is whether you need a payroll module - that can pose more headaches than you can imagine. In any event you might look at the Business Standard package to get an idea of what an Access system can do - but it's expensive. Another is Integral Accounting Enterprise which is a VB.NET and ASP.NET based package that is currently being beta tested. But it's more expensive.

Are you sure that something like QuickBooks or Peachtree won't do the trick for you? Both have significant customization capabilities.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

financials - Access to QuickBooks?

I completely understand what you are saying and I would love to just use a package like QuickBooks but it is pretty rigid (won't allow transactions to be exported) and it's pretty difficult to build export strings from Access that can be imported into QuickBooks. Intuit isn't much help here but I'm sure someone has done it before. This is about as far as I've been able to get as far as building export strings that QuickBooks can read:
    TRNS TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME CLASS AMOUNT DOCNUM CLEAR
    TRNS INVOICE 6/19/03 3:52:19 PM Accounts Receivable Baptist Home for Children Clayton 27.95 1236
    SPL INVOICE 6/19/03 3:52:19 PM Sales Tax Payable Florida Dept of Revenue 0 N
    SPL INVOICE 6/19/03 3:52:19 PM PM -27.95 N
    TRNS INVOICE 6/19/03 4:13:29 PM Accounts Receivable Baptist Home for Children Clayton 27.95 1238
    SPL INVOICE 6/19/03 4:13:29 PM Sales Tax Payable Florida Dept of Revenue 0 N
    SPL INVOICE 6/19/03 4:13:29 PM PM -27.95 N
    TRNS INVOICE 6/23/03 4:12:26 PM Accounts Receivable Baptist Home for Children Clayton 32.95 1237
    SPL INVOICE 6/23/03 4:12:26 PM Sales Tax Payable Florida Dept of Revenue 0 N

Are you aware of any usergroups or anyone that has imported data successfully into QuickBooks from an Access database?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: financials - Access to QuickBooks?

I believe my partner did some of this a couple of years ago - he's not available at the moment, but I'll check with him. In the meantime, you might find this page on Tony Toews' Access site of interest - it lists a number of Access-based accounting systems.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: financials - Access to QuickBooks?

Thank You Very Much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,
    Grady