3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Digital Signatures (XP)

I'm actually on Excel 2000. I added a (self-certified) digital signature to a workbook. When anybody on Excel 2000 opens the workbook, they get the security warning with a check box: "Always trust macros from this source" - i.e., it works the way it's supposed to.
    When an Excel XP user opens the file, they get the same dialog box, but the aforementioned check box is greyed out. Does anybody know why?

I did notice that Excel XP adds an extra check box to the 'Trusted Sources' tab of the Macro Security screen ("Trust access to Visual Basic Project"), but the check box *IS* checked.

TIA

Thanks

Re: Digital Signatures (XP)

I have a little bit of experience with digital sigs and am guessing that XP is being pickier about the use of selcert.exe than Excel 2000 would be. Selfcert is meant for personal use and isn't a 'real' certificate in the sense that it's not verified by an authority (Thawte, Verisign, etc.) I've purchased a code signing sig from Thawte and use that with my Excel 2000/2002 projects. In IE you can view the info about whatever sigs are installed on the computer. See Tools/Internet Options, then 'content' tab then select 'certificates' button. For the self signed certificate that you created, you'll see in the [View] menu that it's not trusted.

Yes Excel XP added the tab 'trusted sources' to show a list of currently known/installed certificates. The 'trust access' option is disabled by default for the given workbook. This prevents other projects from editing via code the code in another workbook. In order for your workbook to allow its code to be externally manipulated (by another workbook) it has to allow that access.

Deb

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Check the Macro Security settings. I know I had the same kind of issue when opening a digitally self-certed 2000 file in 2003. Resetting the Macro Security options brought back the check box. HTh
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, but no good. The problem is that the check box is grayed out. I'm wondering if we're talking about the same problem since you said "brought back the check box". Or is that what you meant?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I meant. A possible (messy) workaround is to get yourself onto an Office XP box and use Self-Cert.exe to create yourself a new Certificate. Then see whether you can use that in your Office 2K setup. Hope This Helps
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect XP does NOT allow you to "trust all software from this source" for sig's created with selfcert other than your own.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association