Lounger
    Thanks

Public Calendar (Outlook 2002)

We have a company calendar that is a public folder. People find it cumbersome setting up meetings in their personal calendars and then having to copy those meetings to the public calendar. Setting the events up in the public calendar instead of the personal calendar isn't an option because then the inviter cannot receive accept/declines reponses.

Is it possible to set up the public calendar as a resouce that can be invited to the event?

If so, how?

If not, is there another way to avoid the drag and drop step to get events into both personal and public calendars?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Public Calendar (Outlook 2002)

We have a mail account called the "Conference Room". So if someone wants to book the Conference room, they then send an appointment and invite the "Conference room", as well as anyone else, to the meeting. The appointment then appears in everyone's calendar.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'd like to refine my question to: is there a way to see the calendar of a resource as a public folder?

Thanks Marie-Therese:

We have resources too that work exactly as you describe (conference room, camera, truck, etc).

My problem is a bit different. We don't want every event to register on every person's calendar. Rather we want chosen personal calendar events to appear in the public folder calendar too.

I can make this happen by sending the event notice from the public calendar to all invitees and that would put the event exactly where I want it (i.e., in the public calendar and in the specific personal calendars of invitees). However, the downside of this method is that the public calendar will not tally acceptances and declines.

I can also make it happen by putting the event in the personal calendar then copying it to the public calendar by dragging and dropping. That is the method we use now that people find cumbersome.

I was hoping to create the public calendar as a resource and somehow see that resource's calendar in the public folders.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can't make a public folder act as a resource in Exchange 5.5. I don't know about later versions of Exchange. For a moment I thought you might be able to use a rule on the resource account, that runs a script, but that would require that the resource account be running on a PC - i.e. it would be a client side rule. Maybe someone knows of a trick for you, but you've got me stumped.